Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #31 
youlovegnats

There are heating pads that have sticky stuff so you can adhere it to the bottom of the tank. My issue with under-heaters is that you can't control the temp. After my turtle flipping over and over-heating, I prefer to use lamps. ;___;
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #32 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Okay. Perfect! Thanks.

Just another question, how would you go about heating the bottom of the tank? Without it being so hot or not hot enough?
You can get heating pads that can be stuck under the tank (not inside). If the pad doesn't come with a regulator switch, you can buy those separately to plug your heating devices into.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #33 
bettalover2033

Okay I see. So what about the "flooring" or "bedding?" I heard sand is comfortable, but obviously not for every snake.

So what would you need to use for the bottom? Newspaper?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #34 
bettalover2033

!Accidental Double Post!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #35 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I know a lot of snakes, sand isn't a good idea unless they are desert snakes. Like for ball pythons I head it can irritate them.
I just use "reptile carpet." More attractive than newspaper, but it starts to smell bad after a while no matter how much you wash it so you gotta switch it out semi often. It's more attractive than newspaper though.
I switched to aspen shavings, but after 8 years on carpet, my poor snake stayed on the driftwood for about a week before I realized the shavings were creeping him out, so I had to switch back.
Most corns I see are on aspen though.. it's good because you clean it like bunny litter and it isn't thaaat pricey. Aspen is the only safe wood chip for snakes that I know of. :)
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #36 
Termato

Quote:
Okay I see. So what about the "flooring" or "bedding?" I heard sand is comfortable, but obviously not for every snake.

So what would you need to use for the bottom? Newspaper?
I found this green carpet thing for under $10 that you can clean and wash so its re-usable.Zoo Med Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet - Reptile - Sale - PetSmart

I got a green one.

I would really suggest a corn snake for you because the Garters and Ribbon snakes are harder to handle. They want to just run away from you. They are very fast.

Corn snakes can be more docile. I just got mine two days ago. Here is us feeding it :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYziwcMMzT8]Feeding Our Beautiful Corn Snake for the First Time! (Snake eats mouse) - YouTube[/ame]

Still learning a lot.

I think Pythons get too big and you need more than one person to handle it with you when it gets that big.

Oh and here is the snake in her cage so you can see the carpet thing. I need to cut it like a half inch to fit it perfect though:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yE3NpS8NBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yE3NpS8NBQ[/ame]

Good luck!

Last edited by Termato; 04-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #37 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Termato, be warned that carpet is only reusable for a couple months at best. :D
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #38 
Termato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Termato, be warned that carpet is only reusable for a couple months at best. :D
haha yeah I figured that...:(

She already pooped on it...looks like bird droppings.

Eventually....i wanna go all natural!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #39 
bettalover2033

She is beautiful! I love the way snakes move! Yeah, Python is one snake I dont plan on getting for a long time. I want to try to have a beginner snake to see if it's something I will get into. If I don't want to get into it, I'll just not buy another snake after this one, but I wouldn't want to re-home something like a snake.

That "Bedding" does look like a carpet.

I didn't think that little corns mouth was going to be able to eat that little mouse. It was dead right? And After they finish eating like that, will they move around at all? I know you're not supposed to touch them when they finish eating.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #40 
Termato

Quote:
She is beautiful! I love the way snakes move! Yeah, Python is one snake I dont plan on getting for a long time. I want to try to have a beginner snake to see if it's something I will get into. If I don't want to get into it, I'll just not buy another snake after this one, but I wouldn't want to re-home something like a snake.

That "Bedding" does look like a carpet.

I didn't think that little corns mouth was going to be able to eat that little mouse. It was dead right? And After they finish eating like that, will they move around at all? I know you're not supposed to touch them when they finish eating.
It was frozen and we thawed it out in warm water.

She has been on the heat pad inside her hiding place for 24 hours. We fed her yesterday and she has just been chilling over the heat pad. The pad is under the tank.

What I want to know is if people take their snakes out of the cage before feeding. I had someone tell me not to. I had people tell me to.

The thing is if you take the snake out you have to touch it to put it back in the cage....Still trying to figure that out.