Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 
Sivan

Filters: Recommendations for a light sleeper with a 5 gallon

Now that I have all my cycling questions answered, I thought it would be appropriate to start a separate thread on filters and heaters.

I will be keeping a 5 gallon in my room with me and need a recommendation for the quietest, most affordable, filter that does not have to be baffled. I know, demanding right? I am a light sleep and already have 2 mini fridges in the room. I had to swap an older one because it would keep me up at night, which is what I am afraid of with a filter.

So what is the quietest filter? I know I heard of a brand that is quiet and not too strong that was within my preferred price range but I cannot remember what it is.

Also, heaters? Favorites? Best kinds? Most reliable? Any advice/recommendations are appreciated!

EDIT:: Also, I will house only one boy, no live plants or companions.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #2 
Micho

Really all power filters make a sound. . . There's no "silent" power filter.

I'm not sure about sponge filters, I think they're are the quietest filters out there, but I'm not sure.

Heaters? A 50w heater would work. Best brand? I enjoy the Elite heaters very much, have three of them, all of them work. No problems.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 
kfryman

Tom mini internal filter, even has a spray bar for more even flow. It also has adjustable flow so yeah I am getting one, but the reviews are amazing!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 
toydogs

My favorite internal is Marineland Duetto and my favorite heater is ViaAqua Quartz heater. Both are reasonably priced and perform really well.
toydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 
kfish

Hydor Theo 25W! The price JUST went up... they were $17.99 :(

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub.../dp/B0006JLPG8

I've had this heater running for 1.5 year and it does a great job... even works in my 10 gallon.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
Sivan

Sounds like I am getting lots of suggestions!

I don't need a filter that is literally silent but one that is very quiet. I've also never used one before so I'd also prefer one that has cartridges that are easily buyable.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 
ZergyMonster

You would really hate living where I live, I live next to the interstate and hear constant roaring of semi-trucks and cars. But, I did find that internal filters tend to be more quite because their equipment is muted by the water. Just be sure that the water line is at or above the outflow to prevent the water dropping noise.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 
JBosley

I have this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753028

For my 15 gallon. I am also a VERY light sleeper, and was worried it would bother me x a million! Surprisingly enough it didn't I love it and am going to get one for my 5 gallon. I had to baffle the filter, which I did with craft mesh.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #9 
Sivan

Thanks. I want to avoid baffling as much as possible but I'll take a look at it at my local PetSmart.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 
SpookyTooth

Sponge filters are a personal favourite of mine. No cartridges to change, no mechanical whurring and no baffling required. The only downside is that they run off an airpump which can get pretty noisy if it starts vibrating against something (which can easily be avoided, you just have to experiment with the pumps positioning a bit to start with).

If you get a sponge filter make sure you also get a non-return valve and an air control valve (most air pumps come with an air control valve); the non-return valve will increase the life of your air pump by making sure no water gets into the it (blow air through the valve to see which way it goes when rigging the stuff up). The air control valve will reduce the rate at which the air is pumped through the sponge filter. Sponge filters generally make a bubbling noise if the air is on high, but this can be reduced by stuffing a piece of porous sponge in the out-flow.

There are two types of sponge filters: stick on the side and lone-standing. The lone-standing ones can end up being absolutely huge and are difficult to disguise; I personally prefer the stick on the side ones as they are easier to hide.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote