Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 
Kinz2488

Betta REALLY not doing well and can't seem to help him

I posted a few days ago because I believed my betta has fin rot. His fins started to get stringy and now they just keep getting more short and are split in the middle. For the past 5 days, he does nothing but "bob" up and down in one corner of the tank, he hasn't eaten in 6 days and the betta fix that the lady at the pet store recommended isn't helping him. I had the filter off so the medicine could work, but the amonia was staying too high so I had to turn it back on and stop the medicine. He is in a 10 gallon, filtered, conditioned tank. I have monitors on the inside and all of the water paremeters are perfect, ph hasn't changed a lot. The temperature fluctuates between 78-80. We've been doing water changes and there is nothing else in the tank besides 5 ghost shrimp which I've monitored and don't bother him. I hate seeing him this way but I'm not sure what I can do to save him?
Kinz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well....can you post a pic and copy/paste/add this...the more detailed info the better....
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
Kinz2488

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 Ghost Shrimp and they get along just fine

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Bettamin Flakes (Just switched him to Frozen Brine Shrimp (Although he has had no interest since he is sick)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday, tried letting him fast for a couple of days thinking it was swim bladder disorder and fin rot but didn't help his swimming issues.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Right now, daily. Before that, weekly or as needed by water tests.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NovaAqua Plus Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5-7.0
Hardness: Moderate
Alkalinity: 0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, fins noticeably splitting and rotting away
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He use to be very active and always hungry. Now just sits in the corner by the heater bobbing up for air every now and then.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, tried Betta Fix. No signs of improvement and doing water changes daily.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he is usually very easy going.
How old is your fish (approximately)? fairly young__________________

This was him, Healthy

This was him a week ago when I first noticed something wasn't right

And this is him now

Last edited by Kinz2488; 04-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As odd as this may sound....it may be the tank and water movement as the cause for the fin damage....

*To understand-when you say "bobbing" you mean he is having buoyancy issues.....correct.....if its not buoyancy-then aquarium salt will work instead of Epsom salt.

Since this is a domesticated fish with unnatural long heavy fins-sometimes too much space and water movement will wear them out, stress them and cause tattered fins and then with limited water changes the high DOC's can further compromise the immune response along with the build up of pathogens that become pathogenic causing a secondary infection.

What I would recommend-a 14 day Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt)treatment in a small Qt using premixed treatment water-

If he came in one of the small temporary cups-this works great for a QT container-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-float this QT attached to the side of the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F range.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or Oak leaf-Let this steep for 30min and use this premixed treatment water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.

He needs to stay in the Qt in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 14 days.

Tomorrow start 50% daily water changes using the premixed treatment water (every 3 days make 50% back to back)

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-if you have access to mosquito larva 0ffer several rinsed for one meal a day replacing the processed fish food to boost protein intake to promote healing.

You may need to use a smaller tank without filtration/water movement to keep his fins intact once the treatment is completed-

Some, not all long fin males can have problems keeping fins intact in larger tanks with filtration-sometimes you can toughen them up with with tannins and good nutrition then gradually increase tank size and filtration

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
Kinz2488

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately we were not able to save him and he passed away last night. I'm sad, but it is bittersweet because I hated seeing him so miserable.