Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #1 
littlegreen

HELP, PLEASE! Sick betta? : (

I'm not sure if something is wrong with my betta, Caravaggio.
I have a 3 gallon, heated, filtered tank.

Yesterday I fasted my betta, but today he's EXTREMELY bloated! There's virtually nothing in the tank he could have eaten: his snail companion is still alive and well, so either he's been eating poo or trying to eat his moss ball. He can't seem to swim down, and keeps almost floating up onto his side. I don't know what's wrong with him! Please help? : (

At first, I thought maybe the filter baffle had come off a bit, so I retaped it...it didn't help. I turned off the filter, and it seemed to help a little. I have it off for now, because I want things to be as easy for him as possible.

Is this swim bladder? Something else? Please help! : (

Oh! Yesterday or today, he made a bubblenest (maybe his first!) and because he hasn't had food, has been eating bubbles instead. Could this be part of it? Thank you!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 
Sivan

You should really repost this in the Disease and Emergency section, as it will get you more timely responses. Do you have any pictures? My first thought was swim bladder disease but he could just be generally bloated and there are remedies for that. How long as he been like this?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3 
Kinz2488

It sounds like he maybe just ate too much. I'd try fasting a day or two and maybe Epsom salt baths everyday.

Helps treat Betta Constipation. Dissolve 1 Tbsp. of Epsom salt per gallon of water. Let your Betta soak in his Epsom Salt bath for 15-20 minutes. Then return your Betta to their normal home. This can repeated about twice a day.
www.petfish.net
Kinz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 
littlegreen

He can't have eaten too much, because he'd just been fasted. : \ He's fine now, though? I'm just glad that it wasn't anything serious! CUTE THING: with the filter off, he started using the baffle as a hammock! I'll definitely be getting him something to lay on, he likes it so much! : )
But today he's totally fine? So...crisis averted?
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote