Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #1 
PersuAzN

Recycle?? Or not??

I have done a 80% water change 2 weeks ago for reasons you can read here in my previous post:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....84#post1052984

I've been following the progress on my betta and daily water tests... Everything reads at 0??? For the last 2 weeks?? I was thinking the tank would recycle itself?? I also rinsed out the filter of the Fluval Edge to so I was thinking it would but it seems to haven't changed? Can someone tell me if there is a chance of recycle or am i in the green?
PersuAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 
jase

recycle....................lol

things like rinsing out filter and doing water change will remove colonies of nitrobacterials you are trying to build up, which in turn will cause a mini cycle.
which i think is what you mean by"recycle"

cycling your tank will involve it going through the worst= spiking your NH3.etc to increasing the bioload your tank can suistain.

But becasue you already have fish, you will have to slowly build up the colonie, instead of doing a spike and rapidly building the population up.

just do the normal water changes, and don't wash all of the filter material.

as long as you do water changes, the reading will stay at 0 and you will never get a spike, however you will still be cycling.- just very slowly.
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 
kfish

I've done a similar thing, and just kept doing my weekly water changes and never noticed anything. You're probably in the clear, just do your regular schedule, like jase said.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote