Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 
ZackyBear

Lightbulb Breeding

Hey everyone~!

I've been skimming the site everyday, doing my research and taking notes since I want to become a good betta breeder. I don't even own any bettas right now Some day I hope to have my own line going, but that's a different story!

Because of the whole "I wanna be an awesome breeder" attitude, I was thinking that maybe I should start out with breeding a different type of fish species. I have no experience breeding any fish. Ever. And the only way to get that is by going for it since I'm more of a hands-on learner.

Do you think it would be a good idea? Or should I just stay focused on bettas for now?

If it seems like a good idea, anyone recommend a good fish to start with? If not then I will go back to studying. x3

P.s- I hope this thread is in the right spot!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

Yes this is in the right place as far as I can tell.
On the question of other fish, I started of with platys as they are quite easy to breed and it gives you the experience of raising fry, I think a couple of platy spawns, or even guppy spawns would be a good experience before trying to breed bettas as they are considerably harder to breed, the best thing you can do it read read and read some more!You can never prepare yourself enough, also you need to think about food cultures and research those for feeding any fry, I do daily 25% water changes for all my fry.You need to know this is a LOT of work, from one single spawn bettas can produce up to 600 fry (in my experience, someone else may have had more!) you need a massive grow out tank, seperation jars for the males. I'm not trying to put you off I just think people need to know what they're letting themselves in for! I have to say though there is nothing quite like raising a baby and seeing it grow up into adulthood!Good luck, I hope I helped!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

xD Yes, breeding bettas is actually kind of scary for me because so much can go wrong, and the worst part is if I ended having to cull. I'm not all too much worried about the time/effort put into it or the amount of bettas bred~ Those are easy to work with. ^w^

As for platys...what...ARE they? o.o

Also for some reason I love vinegar eels. I was thinking about getting a culture for myself to start...would that work for other fish or is it betta specific?

Last edited by ZackyBear; 04-20-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

vinegar eels I believe are ok for all, but I'm not sure.
These are platys:
http://wereallwet.com/mickey-mouse-is-in-the-building/
Old 04-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 
BeckyFish97

Oh one other thing, culling shouldn't be much of a problem if you breed the right combinations!I believe the main reason for culling is overlarge fins and you can control this!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 
ZackyBear

They are such pretty fish~! I'm going to look into them. Is it possible to keep males together and females seperate or do you HAVE to have 2 females for every male? :o
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

With platy's it is better to keep them together because they are shoaling fish, (lol I think I spelt that right) they are built to live together. Some people may argue that when kept together the males basically breed the females to death, but at the same time if you put 5 males together on their own they would be likely to kill each other out of pure frustration. Personally I keep 2 males with 3 females or even 1 male with 3 females and seperate the females only when necessary. If you put a platy on its own, it will get depressed and eventually die from not eating (because of the depression)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 
tpocicat

Platys sound like guppies! When I've had guppies I try to have at least 3 females for every male (same reason). Of course they are live bearers and bettas lay eggs in a bubble nest.
There are some very good stickies under the breeding bettas section if you want to learn more.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #9 
ZackyBear

Yes I've been reading up on those as well as spawn logs. It's just a library here! x3 But I'm thinking about starting out with some platys and see how that goes. I probably won't try breeding bettas for another 6 months~ Maybe longer.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Guppies are pretty similar to platys.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote