Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 
Thikimo

Help! betta's fins (pics)

This hole suddenly appeared on my half moon's back fin today that wasn't there yesterday. Is this normal? What could it be?

There have a couple of splits at the end appearing for a few weeks now but I thought that it was just growing. Now I'm starting to think that there's something wrong since there's a hole near the split from earlier. I don't think there's anything sharp in my 2.5gal tank, but there are a couple of ghost shrimp. I also do a water change and test every two days so I don't think it's fin rot. Any input is appreciated!
Thikimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
Mo

Looks like a snag from a plastic plant or a result of flaring in excessive amounts regularly and blowing his fins from doing so
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Just keep his water super clean.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
Mo

Adding a relatively small amount of aquarium salt would also benefit healing along with heated water
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #5 
Thikimo

Update: The hole now has now added to the large fin split :(

His water is always super clean!
The only plastic plant inside was a betta leaf hammock and I took it out just to be safe. He's really young..I see him flare his fins but never his gils

Thanks for the tip on the heater and salt.
Thikimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #6 
wystearya

Halfmoon Bettas are prone to getting holes and rips in their fins. The fins are very fragile, and they can get torn just from flaring. He should be fine as long as the water is clean. He will heal in time.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #7 
Mo

It doesn't look as if to be fin rot or anything harmful. So I wouldn't worry. I would treat for blowing it fins by over flaring, or snagging its fin on a plastic plant or sharp decoration......you treat these fissues by changing water daily, adding a small amount of salt,and slightly raising the temperature to 80. No medications are needed in this situation at all though
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

How much water changes do you do in your 2.5 gall? I really read from Oldfishlady that she don't recommend to add non therapeutic dose of the aquarium salt because later it will not help to treat with it.

I would say if it not fin rot then with clean water it should heal. And if you will see that it getting worse than you can treat him with aquarium salt. Which is 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depend on severity with 100% daily water changes.

Did his behavior changed?

I have tail bitter and he also in 2.5 gall his tail grow pretty fast every time he bite it. I do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #9 
Silverfang

My guess is fin blow out. I'm seconding the delicate fins that just weren't able to hold up. Clean water should be good enough to help him heal up. Aq salt is a safe back up plan.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

+1
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote