Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 
True Indigo

Algae buildup. Is it a problem?

So my betta, Gyarados (as pictured in my user picture), lives in a heated, filtered, five gallon tank. It's only been recently that I've begun to notice the build up of algae.

I've looked up information and tried to search through the forums but couldn't find a dependable answer.

Is having algae buildup in my tank bad? I've noticed it beginning to grow on my filter cartridge too and I'm wondering if that's a concern?

Currently I have a single Ghost Shrimp and single Nerite Tiger Snail that serve as his tank mates.

So mainly I'm wondering about the following:

1. Is growth of algae a concern in a tank?
2. Is growth of algae a concern if it's getting on the filter?
3. Should I get more ghost shrimp or nerite snails if it is a problem?
4. Is there anything I should generally know and keep in mind about algae buildup?

I greatly appreciate all replies. Just want the best for my fish.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #2 
Micho

Do you have plants in your tank? That's the main question I'm asking.

1) Growth of algae in planted tanks are not a concern, shows signs of a healthy tank actually. If its not planted then we might have issues, excess nutrients might be floating around, best to check your water parameters.

2) I have algae on my heater and filter, it isn't really a concern. Just kinda unpleasing to the eye. If you dislike it just wipe it off.

3) If your snail isn't consuming any of the algae I wouldn't suggest getting more, snails and shrimps only eat certain types of algae, getting more won't solve the problem, plus you'd be pushing the bioload capacity.

4) Algae buildup can happen for a lot of reasons, most likely it's because there's excess nutrients and the algae has appeared because its feeding off the nutrients, or that you're getting excess sunlight.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #3 
True Indigo

Thanks for the quick reply. I have all live plants in my tank from primrose to java fern. The snail has made a hit on the algae in certain areas (not so much the Shrimp) that I've noticed but not too big of an area.

And I'm glad you mentioned the light because I got a new light not even two weeks ago that is more like filtered sunlight so it's brighter (and actually was meant to help the plants that were there which have been now restored). And it was about a week and a half ago that I started to notice it.

Thank you for your reply. I might get one more snail just in case but it hasn't overcrowded anything. It's just growing on surfaces of decorations and the filter. It's not displeasing to the eye at all (I actually like the natural look).

Thanks again and I'll stop worrying about it. Gyarados seems completely fine with it too so no worries about him either. :)
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 
Micho

Yeah might be the overexcessive light. I suggest not getting a snail, reducing the photoperiod will just kill the algae off.

If that doesn't work, wiping algae off is what I always do, I hate it when it gets all over the tank walls and make it all green.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote