Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Not new to bettas but...

ok so I am not a newbie, but I am new to having a baby betta, I was at petco today and just had to. My question is, would there be anything special I would have to do in order to help this little one to grow? if i had to guess I would its age would be around a month or so, i bought a little tank they had at petco, it holds 5 cups of water, small I know but it came with micro pellets and I dont want baby in anything too big, the tank seems to be good for the time being. so far the temp is about 74 in the tank but I will be putting in a mini heater. so.. any advice?
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You should at LEAST get a 1 or 2 Gallon Tank, and keep up with Water Changes!Since it's a Baby, you might have to Crush up the Pellets. What Brand is it? Good Brands are like: Hikari, New Life Spectrum, Omega One, I think Attison's? You need to get it some Extra-Protein, or Special Foods, like Live. Not Sure. And Finally for the Temperature, the Heater should make it Up to 76F-78F. Hope this Helped.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Yeah that helped. well that works then i have a spare one gallon already that i can use, also its hikari, it says on the food sample, baby betta starter diet baby micro pellets, its what came with the tank. ill have to wait till tomorrow to go to my lfs and i just checked the temp and its about 78 because i have the tank under a light for now, thanks for the help never had a lil baby before :3 cant wait to see if its a boy or girl and see the colors!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I got mine from petco too! It refused live food, so I've been giving her crushed pellets and the occasional bug from outside (not recommended, sometimes its not safe). I think the most important thing is temperature and it will grow much bigger before you know it :) small container are ok, better if you add plants, but make sure you do a 100% WC everyday =D and that the new water has the same parameters as the old (Temperature PH etc)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Be careful with that light. Since you have to turn it off at night to let your betta rest, it's going to cause some temperature fluctuations.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #6 
MaggieLynn

I moved the tank and added a heater that goes under the gravel so that the light wont add heat with the heater. probably this week ill be moving he/she to a bigger tank
Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #7 
MaggieLynn

thanks for all of the advice. I have had my share of adult bettas with a count of 8 at the moment >.> just never had a baby. I remember posts of them on here a while ago but never saw them in the store until now. This little guy was the only one and after losing 2 girl within a month im a little paranoid. He/she is doing fine though, the temp is stable in the tank and he/she is active.