Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
tkvalentine

Marbling or sick?

I've had Neige (white DeT male) for about a month now, and I recently noticed a little hint of black on his head, lining his gills, and a small faint patch of the same in one of his fins.

Before:
Name:  IMAG0735.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  36.0 KB

Now:
Name:  IMAG0813.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  28.7 KB

Not sure if there's much of a difference to tell in the shots (little bugger doesn't want to stay still, and I don't want the flash to drive him crazy). He's still actively zipping about his tank and going up for air normally, eating just fine, and generally normal (including flaring at me when I sat down to look at him). The water temp is fine as well. No filter, but he gets constant partial water changes (which I'm about to go do as soon as I post this, just in case!). But I was wondering if this was any kind of sickness or maybe he's marbling like my first DeT, Tristan, did.
tkvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 
tkvalentine

I grabbed another shot after looking a bit closer. Can anyone give me some thoughts on his fins compared to the first picture above? They look like they could be a little frayed, because they don't appear as smooth as the above shot. But it could have also just been how he was lying. Vladimir had fin rot before, and I noticed the gray patches on the edges of his fins, but I don't see those on Neige, nor do I see any misc. tail pieces in the water.

Name:  IMAG0815.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  23.6 KB
Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

If he is acting normal, not clamed and eating, I'm gonna guess he is marbling. Every white betta I get ends up some other color on me. His fins do look a little more frayed the then 1st pic. Is there black outlining the torn part? If its not fin rot, he may be snacking on his fins. In which case he may be bored, angry, fins are annoying him or because he can.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-20-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #4 
tkvalentine

I considered tail biting, so are there any tips for helping that? I went ahead and moved him to a clean hospital bowl with his heater and favorite plant (cleaned, of course). So we'll see. :[ Poor fella.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

I have a tailbiter (who was recovering until last week >8( ) && I've heard to re-arrange tanks, add new plants, keep the water clean, put a mirror up to the tank a few times a week.

And because they can.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

It depends on why he is bitting. If he is bored, you can try rearranging the tank or adding a new plant/decoration. Can he see another betta? if so, block his view of it.

If he is bitting because his long fins bother him or just because he can - not much you can do other then make sure his fins don't get infected with fin rot - just keep the water quality up.

If you double the dose of stress coat, it should help his fins regrow as long as he doesnt keep nipping them

This guy was a chronic bitter till the day he died. I tried everything, i guess he just didnt like being a HM

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-21-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I got one that was white when I got him then he turned blue.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote