Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
Chrexis

Not sure what's causing holes in his fin...

Can someone help me out? What should I do? I'm doing a 100% water change since I saw that the Nitrite levels were really high. 5.0PPM, and my Nitrate levels are 15PPM, my tanks nearing the end of its cycle.
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Looks like he either got snagged on a filter or decoration or he's nipping his fins.

Go over your decorations with a stocking. If it snags, it'll rip fins.

If he's nipping his tail, make sure you have a set schedule for night and day that you don't stray too far from. Make sure he's got things to hid behind/in and explore as well as time to exercise any excess energy.

A hand held mirror is a good tool to get some exercise and boost self confidence. Make winning easy at first, but slowly work them up to a minute or two of flaring before taking the mirror away.

Plastic bottle caps are also a good source of entertainment. You can use different colors to see which your betta prefers.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 
Chrexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Looks like he either got snagged on a filter or decoration or he's nipping his fins.

Go over your decorations with a stocking. If it snags, it'll rip fins.

If he's nipping his tail, make sure you have a set schedule for night and day that you don't stray too far from. Make sure he's got things to hid behind/in and explore as well as time to exercise any excess energy.

A hand held mirror is a good tool to get some exercise and boost self confidence. Make winning easy at first, but slowly work them up to a minute or two of flaring before taking the mirror away.

Plastic bottle caps are also a good source of entertainment. You can use different colors to see which your betta prefers.
Everything in there is soft enough for him, the schedule is a little iffy but he does have things to hide in and behind, he has a silk plant with large broad leaves. I might be getting some live plants for the tank, I'll look into the mirror, and I just put a baffle back on to the filter.
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 
Hopeseeker

My fish has holes in his fins too. I was told yesterday that their fins are delicate and it could be from over flaring. And my fish is also a tailbiter
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote