Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #1 
wulfie

cloudy water, help!!!!

so i got my betta bow 2.5 gallon tank set up, washed the gravel, silk plants, etc all in hot water, filled the tank, added the water treatment that came with the kit, let the filter run for 24hrs, got my crown-tail, let him sit in his bag for about 4hrs, then added him to the tank and he was swimming all over, eating, etc. I noticed about 4hrs later that he was hiding behind the filter, having read that the filter can be too strong for them, I turned it off til I could get a sponge to baffle it. I wake up 8hrs later to a cloudy tank! Do I have a bacteria bloom? What can I do for my poor little betta? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #2 
BeckyFish97

If the filter has not been on then it could be!The only thing I could say is get the filter back on as soon as possible but only when it is safe for your betta!
I have also found in my tank when the filter hasnt been on the tank seems to get a little messy because there is nothing to keep it clean, it may just be that!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 
wulfie

the filter has been on since around 9pm yesterday, it's now almost 8am and the water still looks cloudy, and my beta is behind the filter again. When I got home, about 1/2hr ago, he was in the back at the tank, at the top, I hope he wasn't gasping for air I pulled the charcoal pack out of the filter, ran it through the tap really quick, shaking out all the water that I could, as soon as I put it back in the filter and plugged the filter in, a big blast of cloudy water shot out I hope my little guy can deal with all my newb'ness
Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #4 
Mo

Another possibility to as why your tank is experiencing this issue could be due to the aquarium nitrogen cycle. There are multiple stages of this cycle. One of which being called the bacterial bloom, which happens first. This most likely will cause cloudy water and will eliminate itself within 3-5 days with no special treatment, but water changes can be done to help with the cloudiness. This is most likely your problem. But wen having an established aquarium Nitrogen cycle, there is no need to clean the media out of the filter as beneficial bacteria, which is what breaks down harmful substances such as ammonia and nitrites into less harmful substances like nitrates. Is very sensitive to chlorine and chloramines. The level added into regular tap water is a potentially dangerous level and will kill the beneficial bacteria
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #5 
wulfie

I would have to guess that this IS part of the nitrogen cycle because when we filled the tank, there were bubbles on the sides, which from what I remember is nitrogen, as there are no longer any bubbles on the sides of the tank, correct?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #6 
Mo

I would also expect it to be a result of the aquarium nitrogen cycle
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 
wulfie

thanks SO much for your input guys, it really puts me at ease, at least a bit now to get me a sponge so I can baffle this darn filter! All he wants to do right now is sit in the back of the tank where there isn't as much current or behind the filter where there isn't as much light
btw, where should I go for a sponge? can I use just any sponge or does it have be specifically for aquariums?

Last edited by wulfie; 04-21-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #8 
Mo

I would use one that is specifically for aquariums as some others might have harmful substances
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #9 
wulfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I would use one that is specifically for aquariums as some others might have harmful substances
can I just go to petco/petsmart and tell them I need an aquarium sponge and they'll know what I'm talking about?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #10 
Mo

They should. Are you looking for filter cartridges/media?