Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #1 
jack2

Smile How to heat a small tank?

Hi, I have a small 1 gallon tank ( I know this is too small, but I am a student so I can't afford a bigger tank at the moment). In the summer when it was hot, I didn't need a heater but approaching winter I think I need to heat the tank, however I can't find anything that can heat the small tank I have! Any ideas?
Thanks
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #2 
Mo

Heating is one of th main reasons I don't appreciate small tanks. And have virtually no use for them at all.......there are quite a few optional heaters that have a quite good use in smaller tanks around 1 gallon, that can also be used in larger tanks..........I would get a tetra 50 watt submersible non-adjustable heater, this heater works magnificently and can be used in a larger tank when you upgrade him. The maximum tank Size I would put it in is about 5 gallons though......another magnificent heater that will work quite effeciently, and effective is the hydor mini heater........just as a rule of thumb, most heaters go by the rule of 1 watt per liter....in US measurements there are about 4 liters in a gallon but approximately 3.7 liters in a gallon. For a one gallon I would use about double that for ensured heating due to there small size and capacity so using about an 8 watt heater should suffice so if you coul find another one that would be great

Last edited by Mo; 04-21-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #3 
Cattitude

Depends what sort of tank you have - shape, what it's made of, does it have gravel, etc.

I'm looking for heaters for 1-2 gal aquaria myself and have found that there are 10W submersible heaters that stick to the inside of a tank. There are also undergravel heaters designed for small tanks or bowls.

Here are a couple of examples:

undergravel heater

submersible minis

Hope this helps!
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 
mergan25

My betta is also in a 1 gallon. I have a 7.5w under-gravel heater that I bought at petco. I believe it's this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JVQ67K/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
This heater has been great, no complaints. It was $12 well spent.

Last edited by mergan25; 04-21-2012 at 10:18 AM.
mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

Either the 7.5 undergravel or the little tetra heater are fine. I prefer the tetra heaters given their nigh-on fifty years of track record. The problem with the little always-on heaters is they will overheat the tank on rare days of warmth and you must disturb the gravel to use them.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 
kfryman

You should be doing 100%s in a one gallon tank once a week, so you should be disturbing the gravel...

Get a 7-25 watt heater
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...+heater&_rdc=1

Thats a link to ebay they have all sorts of mini's on there
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 
newarkhiphop

i have 3 hydor 7.5 mini heater , and there ok but if you live in a very cold place or a place that is very cold in the winter time they barely keep the water at the temp. that is best, i would just try find a 10w + adjustable heater which is what am going to try switching to this winter
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote