Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 
littlealbatross

Proper Cleaning - 5 Gallon Tank

Hi All! I got Bert Betta in January and so enjoy having him here! He lives in a 5 gallon tank with a filter, light, silk plants and a thin layer of gravel (maybe 3/4" deep - I had a much thicker layer orig., but have removed much of the gravel).
I also have a heater for him (Top Fin 60Hz/50W).

About a month ago, we went through a bout of fin rot - his fins got very thin and then a bit of the tail was missing one day. I had been keeping an eye on him and questioning fin rot, but was not sure until he lost some of the tail. Dumb newbie! I cleaned the tank thoroughly and started Tetracycline treatments and he has seemed stable ever since.

I do have a question about keeping the tank clean, though. Every week, I scoop out a bowl full of his tank water and transfer him to that bowl while I clean. I remove 2/3 of the water, the plants and the gravel and wash all of the above in hot, running water. The heater seems to get slimy - it has rubber knobs on the top and bottom of the heater and the slimy, white coating seems to be collecting on these rubber caps. When I do my weekly cleaning, the water gets very cloudy for an hour or so - including this white slimy film that's coming off of the heater and floating around in the water. After cleaning, things seem to settle down - I run the filter for 1/2 hr. or so before returning Bert to his tank and the water does clear up/settle.

I seem to have stable water chemistry. I use Stress Zyme+ and aquarium salt (1 tbs) when I do the weekly water change. Water temp is stable and in appropriate range. Bert seems happy and active and eats enthusiastically, etc. But, clearly, something triggered the fin rot - and I suspect it has something to do with my cleaning routine. Any suggestions? I want to do what I can to keep my little guy happy and healthy! Thank you!
littlealbatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #2 
Sivan

If you have a filter and have established a cycle, there is no need for a 100% water change in a 5 gallon. Once the cycle is complete, you can do 50% water changes weekly and use a gravel vacuum to get the poop out from the bottom.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
NEWBEE FISH

I had the same problem... i wanna say that you dont have to take the plants and gravel out EVERYTIME you do a water change... when you take them out you take all the good bacteria out too... Have you tested your water? Is your fish a tail biter?
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #4 
littlealbatross

I am currently changing about 2/3 of the water in his tank each week. I do have a gravel vacuum , but I was concerned that I wasn't getting the gravel clean enough, so I reduced the amount of gravel in the tank and started scooping it out of the tank with my fish net and rinsing it well with fresh water. I never get all of the gravel - maybe about 80%. Mistake? Am I killing off too much of the good bacteria? My concern about water and gravel cleaning is that I read fin rot was almost always attributable to water that wasn't being properly cleaned - I had been changing 1/2 of the water for the first month or so (leading up to the fin rot), but not removing plants or rocks. I suspected that I wasn't cleaning thoroughly enough to keep him healthy.

I have the impression that Bert is getting healthier since I started cleaning the gravel by hand (instead of with vacuum) - his tail seems to be growing back in now, though it is still a little ruffled along the edge. His fins also don't seem to be as clamped/clenched as they were when he first started showing signs of disease - they are now flowing out behind him and he can fan them out more.

That said, I am seeing this slime buildup - the white film that gets dislodged specifically when I clean the heater - the rubber tips on each end of the heater has little "fins" that seem to contribute to the growth of this slime coat. You can see a photo of the heater here: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191

I haven't seen Bert biting his tail - he swims around enthusiastically and seems pretty content so far as I can tell. I test my water weekly -pH levels have been holding steady and all of the other readings have been looking good. I just don't want to revisit the fin rot problems if there is something obvious that I'm missing in my cleaning routine.

Thank you all for your help and advice! Sue
littlealbatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 
kfish

Hmmmm Your tank has probably been fish-in cycling and towards the end of the process, ammonia and nitrite levels can spike a little bit. I suspect that's when he got the fin rot, because during that time, 2-4 50% changes a week are needed sometimes.

Do you have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? I suspect you're cycled by now, assuming you haven't been washing out your filter.

You don't need to add salt every water change - it's best to save that for when your fish gets sick to prevent parasites/bacteria from building up an immunity to it. Long term exposure is also bad for your fish, especially since you're not removing 100% of the salt, since there aren't any 100% water changes... so the concentration is getting higher and higher.

For right now, do 4 or 5 50% changes this week (just use your gravel vacuum... don't actually have to vacuum each time, just change water... vacuum once a week if you have no live plants, or once every 2-3 weeks if you have live plants). And don't add any more salt. Just water conditioner. After this week, continue doing your weekly 50% changes and see where that takes you.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning aquarium, fin rot, water quality