Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

You say two tetra died? This is probably causing stress on the tetra who are in turn taking it out on the betta. Tetra are schooling fish and need large groups. Six is the bare minimum that should be together. Getting more will help. Adding more cover will certainly help, too. Your tank does look a little sparse. Floating plants (fake or real) will offer both the betta and the tetra some good cover and will go a long way to make them both feel better.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that decreasing light will do a lot to reduce the algae in a tank. The light shouldn't be on more than 10 hours a day and should always be off at night. Fish need a day/night cycle just like we do.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #12 
aqua001

The 2 bullys bullied everyone. My mom said it was mold? Also,I am still searching for duckweed. Aqua is rather lethargic and I'm not sure but could have parasites. IDK because the the poop is stringier than usual but is not white.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

The bully tetras are acting that way because they are stressed out due to a lack of school mates not the algae. When fish are stressed out they will either lash out at other fish or completely withdraw and waste away. You may have parasites on your hand with stringy poop, but you've also got the problem of the tetra school to deal with. For now, the best thing to do would be separate the tetra from the betta using a divider. Or put the betta back in his first home (not the cup but a smaller tank). Without the stress of the tetra, your betta will start to get better (ie his immune system will be able to fight back if any infection is attacking him).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree with thekoimaiden...
Right now your best bet is 2-3 more tetra, and HEAVY cover for everyone. :)

Tetra are naturally bullies- to each other. They constantly bicker to establish who is boss... With a too small school, your bossy tetra are also trying to be in charge of the betta.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #15 
aqua001

Alright, so:
1. bigger tank for the tetras with more tetras.
2. Get parasite meds for whoever has parasites.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #16 
ZergyMonster

you don't need a bigger tank for you tetras you just need more of them, like KoiMaiden said at least 6. If you can't do that you should put your betta in a temporary small tank (1Gallon minimum). Once you do that you betta will start getting better and if he doesn't, be sure to look into the betta diseases and emergencies forum to see what is wrong with him.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #17 
Kim

The tank setup looks pretty new, has it cycled yet? Also, what are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #18 
aqua001

I've had it for about 3 months. I did a fish less cycle. last time I checked the parameters, nitrite and nitrate were both 0 ppm. My test kit does not test ammonia. From amazon, I got stress coat and aq salt. Will this help the matters at all? Do you think I should put in my old divider, put the tetras on 1 side and aqua on the other? Or is 5 gal too small for 6 tetras?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't bother dividing them. 5 gallons isn't a lot of space for those tetra.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #20 
aqua001

Okay. Do you think the aggressiveness will calm down after I add a suitable number in? I will probably get 3 more tomorrow.