Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 
Fortasiastar

Question New beta owner. 2 hours new

Hi all I just left Pet-smart with my new beta..he's red and so pretty. I asked the pet store guy how to take care of them and he said " nothing to it". I told him that I had 5 neon's in the tank and they died the next day. And also one other fish. It just died yesterday. I've been doing everything that I was supposed to do so I wanted to get a fish that wouldn't die on me. He told me that I should use the same water, don't change it and just add the beta. I asked if I needed anything for it, heater, filter anything. He said no, they don't need much at all. Ok so I got home, I did change the water cause I didn't want him in the water my other fish died in..waited for about an hour and added him. He stays at the top not moving.. I read on here that I DO need a heater and the water needs to be at at least 78, am I right. I really need some help, hes too pretty to die and the guy at the store apparently didn't know his behind from a hold in the ground.
Fortasiastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes he does need a heater.. but don't worry he won't die if he doesn't have one for a few days (think of how long they last in those cups). Bettas are hardy little guys and a great starter fish, they're pretty forgiving if you mess up a few times. So whenever you can get down to the store and get him a heater would be good. It's needed for long term health so sooner is better. 78 is a good temperature to start with them. Did you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine?

I'm sorry your tetra died... They are fragile fish and they really aren't a good place to start fish keeping. They need a tank that has undergone the nitrogen cycle or they are goners.

What size is your fish tank?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Did you use anything to treat the tap water?
do you have a filter?
How big is your tank?
Do you have any kind of aereator for the water?
Did you cycle your tank?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 
Fortasiastar

I think its a 2.5 gallon tank. No I didn't treat the water. Can I still do it, and should I take him out before I treat it. I think I have a filter, it came with the tank.. I will take a pic and post it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

2.5 gallons is way too small for tetra.
A betta is the only good choice.
You are going to have to head to the store and buy dechlorinator asap- it will burn his gills and damage his body.
Most uneducated pet store people should know that much. That's okay, a lot of people have a rough start in the fish hobby, but you found a good place to learn all you need. :D
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Well to start 2.5 gallons is not enough for 5 neon tetras, 1 betta would be okay in there but no more fish.
You need a heater, but a filter is not really necessary, you also need to get something to treat the tap water and make it safe for your betta if not he would die.
You don't need to cycle a 2.5 gallon but you need to do at least 75% water changes weekly and treat the tap water before adding it to the tank.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 
Fortasiastar

So should I take him out of the tank?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #8 
Fortasiastar

and how do I add pics to this.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

To add pics you need to sign up for something like photobucket or flikr, and upload them on there, and then on here.
Taking him out won't do anything since all your water will have chlorine in it. He'll be okay for tonight.. Can you head to the store tomorrow?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 
Fortasiastar

I can go tonight to Walmart. But I have TetraAqua Aquasafe..