betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That's water conditioner. Did you put in the recommended amount? :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 
Fortasiastar

yes I did put in the amount it called for..
Fortasiastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #13 
Fortasiastar

hoping this works.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #14 
Fortasiastar

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

Never ask a pet shop employee for fish advice - -they are clueless 99.9% of the time.

If you don't use conditioner, the fish will most likely die. There is stuff in the water like chlorine, heavy metals, ect that are deadly to fish.

Also, even with a filter, you need to do weekly water changes. I don't think a 2.5 can cycle but if you use a filter you should be aware of the nitrogen cycle as it too can be deadly for fish.

EDIT: since you just got him, it may take a few days for him to settle in. Since the tank is kinda tall, you may want to get a tall silk plant with lots of leaves for him to rest on near the surface. I would suggest Indian Almond Leaves but you can only get them via sellers in Asia. They release tannins into the water and when i first put the leaves in, I usually find the betta chillin under the leaf. After it gets a bit more water logged, the leaf sits lower in the water and I usually find them resting on top of the leaf. They need to be taken out after 2-3 weeks so it does not rot and pollute the water. They also tint the water amber colored- like a bettas natural habitat

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #16 
Fortasiastar

How much do heaters usually run. And the thermometers? Sorry for asking so many questions, I didn't realize they needed so much. And I want to get the right stuff for him.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

depends on what kind you want.

You said 2.5 gallons, right? so you want a 25 watt heater. it's better to get ones that are adjustible as opposed to preset.

tetra has preset ones that are the cheapest but if your house/room is on the colder side, it will only heat the water up a few more degreese then the air temp.

Hagen Elite 25 watt ones are nice. They are short so they fit in smaller tanks and its adjustable. I got mine for $13 plus shipping off Amazon.com

Ebay is another good place to look for cheap heaters - just make sure they are using the same voltage system. Alot of sellers are in China/Hong Kong and they sell both the US and UK voltage settings. Make sure the one you are looking out is the correct one for your country.

Therometers are cheap. They can range between 1.99 - 3.99.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #18 
Hmongol

fortasiastar, your local petsmart should carry a flat pad-like heater just for betta that you can just lay on the gravel or however it is used(never used one) but i know many folks that have used one and it works well. I believe it should cost around 14 dollar depend where you are from. Thermos are no more that 2 dollars, also be sure to get the thermos that go into the water with the degrees on the tube and avoid the strip thermos where you stick it on the outside of the glass.
Hmongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #19 
Fortasiastar

Just went and got a heater and a thermo. Thanks so much to everyone that helped. I sure didn't want my little guy to get sick or worse. I'm glad I found such a helpful and friendly site. Thanks again..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Your little guy sure is cute!
If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote