Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

baby betta, couldn't resist...

So after my landlord made me get rid of my last two bettas... Ive always had my 1 gallon Jar, which could be hidden easily. Couldnt resist going into petco yesterday and came out with a baby betta....

he's now now in the tank with a cory, an otto, an army of snails, 5 shrimps and many babies... and...3 juvenile endlers. I have no idea how they are thriving so well in there... but he/she is happily exploring.

Any idea what gender? even though it's pecking away at random things I cant see (copepods?) I think I might need to grab it some betta pellets and crush them to make sure he's well fed. Does it need any special care? temperature is 76.

As you can see it's about mama cherry shrimp size right now, theres a mama ghost shrimp hovering over it
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 
jaela

I'm afraid you're WAY overstocked for a 1 gallon jar. A betta alone can't even live in one cmfortably without very, very frequent water changes (and that still isn't very much room for your betta to swim around), so with all the other fish, the ammonia levels are probably through the roof. This can actually BURN your fish as well as make them very, very sick. Snails in particular produce a LOT of ammonia.
As well, corys and otos are schooling fish that don't do well with only one per species. It's better to have room for 6+.
If your landlord doesn't allow fish tanks, you're really going to have to return these fish to the pet store, or rehome them to someone who has more space for them. I know how nice it is to have fish around, but I'm sure you don't want them to be in bad conditions.
There's a possibility you can talk to your landlord about keeping a fish as an emotional support animal, and have an exception made. But you'll need to make sure you have a much larger home for your fish and that you don't overstock the tank.
In addition, betta fish DEFINITELY need to be fed. They won't survive on just copepods or other tiny organisms in your tank.
Please, please get these fish to a new home as soon as possible.
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Please tell me you don't have all of those in a 1 gallon...
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 
True Indigo

The fact that your betta fish baby is showing it's stripes usually signifies that it's stressed out. Please follow the first replier's advice.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

baby betta fish are grow up with stripes... and ammonia and nitrites are zero nitrates are about 10...I haven't done a water change in two months... I'm not worried about the jar, water parameters cannot be more perfect, I will move him out of there once he gets bigger, I don't want a giant betta in with my shrimps any way, but for now, he/she's in there.

I'm well aware that a one gallon usually will only sustain one betta fish and needs two wcs a week,

But if anyone is wondering about why a jar works, it is because there is a cycling system in there that is converting all the ammonia nitrates and nitrites into nutrition for plants. there is sufficient lifestock in there to provide carbon dioxide and in return with a good lighting cycle nothing in the jar is being poisoned and all the fish are very well fed, they have been growing quite well and are very vibrant. The shrimps, which are supposed to be sensitive to even slightly bad water parameters are thriving well.

Im worried about the betta mostly and whether he is eating enough, and when he will start eating my shrimps.

Since I'm not the most experienced with bettas, Im just wondering if he's feeding well. Can anyone with experience judge the size of his stomach for me?

Last edited by ao; 04-22-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Here's a video of the jar if any one is curious. Betta is in the elodeas in theback somewhere, it seems to prefer the area with more plants.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...u/3a27441d.mp4
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 
Luimeril

so.... your landlord made you get rid of your fish. yet you went out and severely overstocked a jar with more?

your jar is WAY overstocked. a one gallon is fine for ONE betta. not one betta, and a bunch of other fish. which are all schooling fish and need more than what you have there.

baby bettas are VERY fragile fish. they need perfect conditions to grow properly. something you can't do in an unheated gallon jar with tons of other fish. it doesn't matter how many plants you cram in there, all your fish are unhappy. Oto catfish are schooling and need 4+, cory catfish are schooling and need 4+, i don't know much about Endlers, but i know they need bigger tanks than a gallon jar.

you can't judge how stocked your tank is, by the size of your fish. a 1.5 seems big for my Todd, and looks like it has plenty of room for other fish, but i know the bioload of the tank can only support Todd alone.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #8 
LionCalie

Even if your water parameters are perfect, Corys and Ottos are schooling fish; they are not happy and will not thrive alone. Having good water also doesn't change the fact you are horribly overstocked. Stunting will happen.

I won't comment on feeding as I don't have experience with baby Bettas.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
baby betta fish are grow up with stripes... and ammonia and nitrites are zero nitrates are about 10...I haven't done a water change in two months... I'm not worried about the jar, water parameters cannot be more perfect, I will move him out of there once he gets bigger, I don't want a giant betta in with my shrimps any way, but for now, he/she's in there.

I'm well aware that a one gallon usually will only sustain one betta fish and needs two wcs a week,

But if anyone is wondering about why a jar works, it is because there is a cycling system in there that is converting all the ammonia nitrates and nitrites into nutrition for plants. there is sufficient lifestock in there to provide carbon dioxide and in return with a good lighting cycle nothing in the jar is being poisoned and all the fish are very well fed, they have been growing quite well and are very vibrant. The shrimps, which are supposed to be sensitive to even slightly bad water parameters are thriving well.

Im worried about the betta mostly and whether he is eating enough, and when he will start eating my shrimps.

Since I'm not the most experienced with bettas, Im just wondering if he's feeding well. Can anyone with experience judge the size of his stomach for me?
What you haven't taken into consideration is pheromones. All fish produce pheromones.. the young betta release one that stunts the other fry, you are stunting your guy by bathing him in his own poison.
All of your fish are releasing pheromones, this is the way they communicate with each other... This is also the biggest reason that we must do water changes in any tank. Pheromones are invisible, and will increase the stress of all your fish, your oto and cory are probably terrified of the hidden messages being released by the betta, even if it is a baby. It's like living in your bedroom, knowing there is a poisonous spider in your room. You can survive, but you will always know that the spider is there, and you will live in constant terror of it. This is the best example I can give.... This is why we need large tanks to house betta with other fish, so the pheromones are diffused into a larger water area, and controlled by water changes.....

As mentioned, your baby should have at least 80F for best growth.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 
xShainax

Please re-home them
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote