Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
sewerlee

Is my betta too fat?? Take a look!

It is still growing, I got it when it was just a baby, according to pictures, it seemed to be 8 weeks when I got him, now it's almost 10 weeks old. I wanted to feed him just enough so that he's full, because he is just a baby afterall. I feed him two pellets two times a day. I crush up the pellets because they are too big for him to eat. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

sewerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 
Laki

I'm no expert, but that looks like some serious bloat. Fast him for a few days to see if it goes down. Please inform of any changes in behaviour and appetite.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Young bettas, under 4 months, should be fed more to hopefully boost growth. Your little guy is not fat. He just has a full stomach....... not as full as my fry though.

Don't worry, he looks great.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Good food isn't the only thing needed for good growth. Make sure his water stays warm with a good heater.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Either its very fat, or constipated. It looks more liek the second, stop feeding for a day or 2 or till its belly goess down, cures both
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I was thinking this was a young one who had just had a nice meal!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 
sewerlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I was thinking this was a young one who had just had a nice meal!
You're right. I took these right after I fed him, as I look at him now, 7 hrs after I fed him, bloating has gone down a bit. I have recently changed diet to 2 pellets/2x a day. Before it was 3x a day/ 1 pellet.

In my next post I'll upload pics when he's not bloated. It's almost his feeding time, so I'll take his pics right before his dinner.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

fish need alot less than we think, he will be fine on 1 or 2 pellets a day tbh. they dont use calories for making heat which is where most f our calories go, so 1 or 2 a day is totally fine for them
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

no such thing as a fat betta there is constipated (sometimes with bloat, or leading to SBD), or stuffed :3 my females are pigs, and some of the faster ones get the bellies because they stole the ration from the others looks like a well fed adolescent betta.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #10 
sewerlee

Here he is 7 hrs after I fed him. I decided to take pictures of him again because this is what he looks like when he's not bloated. Fed him 2 pellets this morning. Crushed them up and fed it to him. He is pretty happy when I give him that much. When I don't give him that much he tends to scour the gravel in search for fallen food -.- and I don't like it when he does that. Also, took it as a sign that he isn't full. He is a baby so that is partly why I feed him til he doesn't want anymore. Babies should get their bellies full and have whatever they need There are people saying that I should only feed him 1 or 2 pellets a day, I don't feel comfortable with that because I feel like I'm neglecting him. Well, anyways, over next couple of days I'll update you on his diet and his weight. Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by sewerlee; 04-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.