Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 
Mo

That won't drastically diminisht the possibility of the fish eating the shrimp. It might diminish it slightly but the chance will still be the same and having them with your Betta is still a bit risky
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #12 
Pogthefish

what about female bettas? I hear they are less agressive :D
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #13 
Mo

Nope. Actually females can be just as aggresive as males and in this case. Females are more Likely to eat the shrimp as they usually have larger mouths and get a tad bigger than males
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #14 
Pogthefish

:/
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #15 
Pucky21811

I thought it would be safer too in a big tank with my one female. I even had a 1/3 divider for the tank where the shrimp could go in and out of as they pleased without Winnipeg following them in. However within two days my girl ate the shrimpy with only one eye (Patchy) and days later she finally chased Jacques around enough to give him a fatal nip and she ate the body soon after. She was very pissed about the divided tank and spent her days swimming at it angrily.
Plenty of hiding places and probably things like Java moss should be everywhere. In general just have a ton of shrimp sized hideys. And a lid for sure. When my shrimp was getting chased he would reach the surface and sometimes jump and just got stuck to my lid. I needed to run water over it to get him back in. Good luck though!
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

With enough cover they should be fine. Just provide spaces bettas cannot get into as well as a load of java moss or other mosses. Tall live plants that grow densely such as hornwort and lacefern also provide ltos of hiding spots. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #17 
copperarabian

I've never had any problem with my shrimp, of course I do sometimes loose them and think they are dead lol. When I moved all my girls to the 48 I thought I had one ghost, but I actually had 4 lol I went out and bought 3 more XD

So cool to watch them scavenge :D I usually make sure some of the flakes sink to the bottom.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #18 
Pogthefish

my girls can get ANYWHERE in the tank, theyre very small, lol so i will have to see.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #19 
AFishTale

I currently have five ghost shrimp in my sorority, and though the girls had to stalk them a bit at first, they got bored and moved on to the next thing eventually. My tank is also *heavily* planted, so they have tons of cover. :D
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #20 
Pogthefish

mine is lightly planted since i moved half of them to the new tank, sooo maybe ill try something else :P