Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

rescued HMDbTPK from PETCO...

I literally just got home with this guy last night... I dont know any of his past or anything, all i can tell you is he is now in a 2.5 gallon, heated (80) tank in a darker area of my room. I dont have him in AQ salt, because ive run out lol, but the water will get changed every day.

So my question! Is this finrot, or do i need something stronger to treat what he has?

Also, this isnt a betta, but should my cousin be concerned about this black spot on his golfish's head? He just picked it up yesterday, and its going into a thirty gallon tank.

Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #2 
Luimeril

looks like fin rot to me. :I since it's so advanced, i'd medicate it, kick it's butt now. i just... don't know what kinda meds would be useful, because i don't medicate for fin rot... x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 
Gizmothefreaky

lol well that's helpful... ^^; I dont medicate for finrot either, which is why i was asking what should be done. XD
Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Sorry to double post, but i need to leave soon for the pet store, so if there is anyone out there with a suggestion on how to treat this finrot, that would be awesome.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 
laoshun

all i would say is isolate him AQ salt and clean water lol.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

Maracyn or kanaplex, kanaplex is really hard stuff though and you have to get it off the internet, I found it on ebay, I think if you choose to go for kanaplex then treat with maracyn while the kanaplex is shipped, but stop it within the time it says you should wait to use another treatment or re-treat so that you're ready when the kanaplex arrives to hit it hard, also daily water changes and maybe higher the temperature slightly
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Poor fishie :( I've only ever used AQ salt and clean water but according to the instructions on the boxes - maracyn, maracyn2 and tetracycline claim to work for fin rot..assuming the rot is caused by bacteria and not a fungus. Petco doesn't sell any of them though - at least I never saw them there. Petsmart supposedly does. Maracyn-oxy might work too - its claims to treat viral, fungal and bacterial infections. Petco should have that.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

Looks like fin rot but also looks like he is tail biting. (maybe because of the fin rot?) I only think he is tail biting because my copper DT (looks almost the same as yours!!) has black edges around his fins because of his color, your new guys tail has none, and looks chomped off. The black that traveled down onto his body is pretty serious looking though so I don't know for sure if it is too late for aquarium salt.

Sorry to not be of too much help
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 
Kim

I always had good luck with Fungus Clear by Jungle Labs. Despite the name it deals with bacterial (if I remember correctly both gram positive and gram negative) as well as fungal infections, so you get a really comprehensive approach. I would say go for the meds over just aquarium salt as this is a pretty advanced infection. Good luck with him, I'm glad you decided to give the poor guy a chance!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 
Luimeril

yeah, the Fungus clear i have says it treats fin rot. x: sorry for not being very helpful before. i usually treat with clean water and AQ salt. only once dealt with hard-core rot, but was unable to stop it. i forget about my fungus clear, because i never have to use it. >.>; sorry.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote