Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #1 
Bekah

New to Betta's (this is a long story) if you want to read

Hi guys!

I have been wanting a Betta fish for a very long time, and now that I have moved into my own house that we bought earlier this year this was a better time to get my Betta. But unlike others, when I get one, I want another one, so I always get two at the same time. But I was gonna wait until I had some money set aside to have everything ready, but I just couldn't wait. While I was searching online on youtube, I came across this video that said, the sad truth about Betta's. I saw the video and it caught my heart, it was talking about Walmart and how it gets these Betta's and never keep them right. So I vowed to go to my local Walmart and check them out and if there were not properly cared for I was going to complain to them and post on their facebook webpage.

Well, two walmart in my area and only one carries the Betta, thank God. However sadly they didn't have much water and were in their poops, so I complain the Manager and I took pictures and show them to the Manager, and told them it is there responsibility to care for the fish if they are going to keep them. A week later is when I thought, I would get my Betta fish, and I got two of them. On that day, I found one dead, and I almost sink. I showed an employee the dead fish, and told her you people are disgusting irresponsible. So I got two Betta's, the bright red one and the bright blue one.

I already had a 1.5 gallon tank that I had been hauling around for the past 5 years. I used that one for one of the Betta's and I just bought a 1 gallon temporary home for the other Betta, so that I can have 2 of them. I went to Pet-smart and got two separate live plants, I got the gravel at Walmart, and I got water conditioner as well, but I don't really need the water conditioner because I live on a land with well water, no chlorine in it which was a great discovery for me for my self, will tell that story in a few minutes. But anyways, so I got home and prepared my Betta's tank and added the water conditioner just in case. I added the gravel and the plants. They were happy to be out of that cup. I kept watching their temperature and it was about 76-72 I didn't like it sense I read that temp should be up at 80's. So I bought heaters from petsmart and I bought filters as well, cause on the 1 gallon tank the water wouldn't keep clear even after 2 days of water change. But I still wasn't happy because than I found that I could get a heater with control on it. Well I knew the tank there were in was temp. as I wanted to get bigger tanks and wanted to get them all at the same time to be fear to both of my Betta's.

About 2 weeks later, I bought them each the 10gallon started kit, as petsmart says, but these are their permanent homes though. The kit came complete even with the control heater, and I got them both 50 bucks each at Petsmart. They have been in their new tanks for almost a week now. I am replacing the filter as the filter it came I cannot control the water flow, and I found one online that has really good reviews, so they should be here by Monday in a few days. I have also kepts some sea salt in the water sense it's known to stop and prevent diseases which I want to prevent.

I just ordered a bunch of live plants for both tanks, cost me almost 60 bucks, I should be getting them today. I will buy 2 floating logs as I have notice that both of my Betta's likes to sleep on top of the water. Going to get more natural gravel, some rocks, a kit to build caves and driftwood. I will try and post some pictures so you guys can see how they are now. Tank only have a plant and a sunken log with 3 wholes they go in and out of.

Ok, so for my short story about city water and changing to well water was a blessing. The past 3 years I have been having problems with my hair, and the last 2 years I have noticed my hair starts to fall, the last year, I thought well, by this summer I should be bold and if that happens I would shave my entire head. Well, by end of Feb this year we bought our house, and it well water, not city water, so it doesn't have the harmful chemicals they put in city waters. After a month of living here I notice my hair is not falling as much, after 2 months the hair loss stopped completely. I bought this to my husband's attention and he said, "you know what, it might have been the city water", and I go, or my gosh, you are so right, and I would have never known it was that dam city water affecting my hair growth. Even though I had hair loss, my hair was growing at the same time, but not as fast as it was falling though, my hair growth couldn't compete with the hair loosing faster than growing. I am so grateful that my hair is no longer falling and it's growing faster now, you guys have no idea how happy I am with this new discovery. Never again city water.

So now, for my Betta's I don't need water conditioner, they have the safest water ever.
Attached Images

Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

Wow okay. I personally would not keep salt in there all the time. Its more for when they are sick and it can actually do more harm then good when continually kept in the tanks.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Welcome to the wonderful world of bettas! I'm so happy to read your story. You seem to be off to a great start.

First, I just wanted to ask if you've had your well water tested? Water quality issues are kinda a pet project/interest for me (although, mostly in a development context). A lot of times well water is actually really polluted. It won't necessarily make you sick, but a lot of nasty stuff can build up in your body. Heavy metals, nitrates and nitrites are going to be your most common ones. A good water conditioner will help to detoxify heavy metals. It's not just about the chlorine.

Also, sea salt and aquarium salt are not the same thing. Sea salt will increase the salinity of your tank, and bettas are freshwater (so it's not good for them). Aquarium salt is used to treat external problems, but if used for over 10 days can cause organ damage.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Ditto with pp, there was a girl on here who kept salt in her tank all the time and her fish's fins burned off from the salt.

And from your post, it sounds like you've been infected with the Betta bug. Congratulations :D
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #5 
Bekah

Ah guys!, those white rocks you see is not salt, lol. They are white pebbles rocks. I would not keep that much salt in my fresh water tank, I'm not that crazy. However, sense you guys mentioned salt, I did put maybe half of table spoon of aquarium salt in each tank tho, so I hope half of table spoon to 10 gallon tank wont do much harm, it's just to keep them healthier from diseases.

Neptunesmom, when we bought the house, its normal in our state to get the well tested, and our well tested healthy without all the harmful stuff. Yes, I read that well water is not all that good either. But in the state that I live in they are very strict about testing well water when you first buy a house to make sure that it's not contaminated. It's a procedure the banks have to go through when finalizing papers when someone buys a house that has well, they also clean out the septic tanks as well.

Thank you guys for reading my story.

Hey, I got my plants today, yay!!!. Paid 46.00 plus shipping for a set of aquatic live plants. I already added them to the tank, and my Betta's couldn't be more happy now, they are making bubbles. I will post more pictures of what their tank looks like now, but I'm still not done fixing their tanks, it's a working progress, and they are loving it.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Salt is meant to be used for 14 days maximum, so after the 14 days, make sure you completely change the water.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekah View Post
Ah guys!, those white rocks you see is not salt, lol. They are white pebbles rocks. I would not keep that much salt in my fresh water tank, I'm not that crazy. However, sense you guys mentioned salt, I did put maybe half of table spoon of aquarium salt in each tank tho, so I hope half of table spoon to 10 gallon tank wont do much harm, it's just to keep them healthier from diseases.

Neptunesmom, when we bought the house, its normal in our state to get the well tested, and our well tested healthy without all the harmful stuff. Yes, I read that well water is not all that good either. But in the state that I live in they are very strict about testing well water when you first buy a house to make sure that it's not contaminated. It's a procedure the banks have to go through when finalizing papers when someone buys a house that has well, they also clean out the septic tanks as well.

Thank you guys for reading my story.

Hey, I got my plants today, yay!!!. Paid 46.00 plus shipping for a set of aquatic live plants. I already added them to the tank, and my Betta's couldn't be more happy now, they are making bubbles. I will post more pictures of what their tank looks like now, but I'm still not done fixing their tanks, it's a working progress, and they are loving it.
You said you added sea salt to the tanks in your original post. It sounds like it's aquarium salt though (so that's good). But, as mentioned before it is not good to use for long periods of time. It encourages the retention of fluids, which can cause organ damage.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #8 
Bekah

Neptunesmom, yes, I did actually said sea salt, but it's aquarium salt, wasn't thinking straight. Oh so the salt will still make them sick huh! ok well, I guess when I do the rock changes to the aquarium, I will just remove the aquarium salt altogether than. But don't the salt eventually melt into the water? I already did a 75% water change yesterday, when I added their new plants.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #9 
Bekah

Neptunesmom, I see your picture is a horse. Are you a ridder? I love, love, love horses, it was my dream to have my own horse when I got older. I am currently taking ridding lessons and getting to know the horses and how they interact, and seeing their different personality impresses me.

We just bought a house with 5.5 acres, so maybe one day I can clear up 2 acres of trees and build a barn and eventually I can have a horse.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Salt won't "hurt" him right now. It's if you continued to dose it over a long period of time. So, a one time dose of it won't hurt him. It is a great tool to use on fish that have external problems (fin rot, very beginning stages of fungus, etc..), but long term exposure causes problems. So I wouldn't worry about what's in there now, because it'll come out as you change the water over time.

Well, I haven't ridden for a few years. My grandfather started an Arabian farm about 50 years ago. We (my family) were very heavily involved in the Arabians through the 80's and to a lesser extent in the 90's. The horse in my avatar is a gelding we bred. He's 25 now. That picture was taken probably 13 year ago. We started to switch over to Miniatures in the 80's, and fully switched to showing exclusively minis in the 00's and now have almost 40 Minis and only 2 Arabians left (when I was growing up there were times we'd have double that in Arabians). Both my Arabs are over 20, so they don't really get ridden anymore. But, I do drive the miniatures in cart, so that's fun. I was hoping to get another riding horse and get to showing big horses again (I've fallen in love with Morgans) this summer, but it'll probably be another year or two.