Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #11 
LionCalie

It is not invalid. If the fish aren't selling then they will stop supplying them. I know I sound like a broken record because I keep telling others not to give up hope that you can make a difference. Some Walmart stores have stopped selling Bettas and fish altogether because so many people complained/stopped buying from them.

Kudos for convincing them to give you the Betta for free.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #12 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
It is not invalid. If the fish aren't selling then they will stop supplying them. I know I sound like a broken record because I keep telling others not to give up hope that you can make a difference. Some Walmart stores have stopped selling Bettas and fish altogether because so many people complained/stopped buying from them.

Agreed. Mine no longer sells bettas. I can't say for sure why, but I'm glad nonetheless.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Agreed. Mine no longer sells bettas. I can't say for sure why, but I'm glad nonetheless.
agreed. Mine doesn't sell fish anymore but the next town over still does. The conditions are horrific.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #14 
LuckyBlue

complaining really does help.... you have to be consistent and you have to be friendly about it....

This first time I complained about the bettas and all the other fish were in horrific condition ... super bad... lots of dead fish floating ....

After that first time they did make someone go and they cleaned up ALL the fish tanks... they actually look good now... they didn't touch the bettas though which is what I had actually gone to complain about.. so I continued to complain.... nicely but firmly... I will keep going back every few days and check on the bettas.

If no one complains, I'm not sure the managers even notice..it just isn't on their important list...
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

Quote:
It is not invalid. If the fish aren't selling then they will stop supplying them.
I disagree - if they get credit for dead fish (which I beleive walmart and petco do), it does not matter weather they sell or not - either way its not affecting their profit margin. The same with their expired dairy products - it does not sell, they get credit for it and it gets replaced for free from the supplier.

Now, Im not saying complaining to a manager or corporate won't work. Aparently it does..what I am saying is, if you by them or they die on the shelf - it will not make a difference to their profit especially of every dead fish gets replaced for free from their supplier. If you buy it, it gets replaced..if it dies, it still gets replaced. The cycle is going to continue weather you pay for the fish or not and the only way it will stop is if each store stops selling live fish altogether - weather that happens through budget cuts or through activism...I doubt it will happen by refusing to buy fish from them.

Both stores here still sell live fish - dragon fish, fiddler crabs, goldfish - and they got them all crammed into what looks like a wall of 5 gallon tanks...

That is all I shall say on the subject. If you choose to disagree, you have that right. I know most of you do. I just don't see the point of leaving a sickie there when I know I can nurse it back to health - especially when it makes no difference to them - money wise - if the fish lives or dies.

Quote:
If no one complains, I'm not sure the managers even notice..it just isn't on their important list...
I worked at the 2nd bigggest walmart in the nation and there are SO many levels of management, even as an employee it was impossible to even find the right one - to find one that actually CARED was almost impossible. I tried to get a week off for my grandmothers funeral that was 5000 miles away. the STORE MANAGER said he only wants employees that have a work ethic and if i needed more then 3 days for this funeral, I need to tell HR that I was quitting. So I did. Those were his exact words >.< I couldn't even FIND the pet section manager when I worked there...let alone complain to them. Heck, I didn;t even know who MY manager was

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-23-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #16 
Breezy79

I had a Walmart betta once, his name was secretariat because he was red and I like horses, anyway I rescued him and he turned out gorgeous!
Breezy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #17 
registereduser

hmmmmm, well if they get money either way, then why would they sell a sick fish at a discount? I'm sure the credit they get isn't as much as the sale price, so they do lose money or simply break even, no money made. It is worth complaining since many stores have stopped selling live fish.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #18 
Laki

Congrats on getting him free!!! PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!

Also, informing the manager is a good thing. Hopefully they take into account and make improvements. The WM here stopped selling live fish a couple years ago, thank goodness. But they're really cheap to buy at PetSmart so I know kids are still messing around with them. There's a local pet store that sells imported fish from Singapore or Malaysia (where I got Lakitu and Ludendorff) so the fish cost more, they would never give a free fish!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #19 
LuckyBlue

His pictures are under "Betta Pictures" "Meet Anderson"..... and by the way... he is swimming and checking out his whole new home and is even eating.... YEAH!!!

I think his only illness was the filthy water he has sat in for several weeks...never changed at all. His fins look good. Check him out!
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote