Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Even if you don't have any farms nearby, your groundwater can come from a reservoir that goes under a farm hundreds of miles away. Especially in karst topography, your drinking water might be the poop water for cattle a long distance away. Virginia hasn't been the greatest about keeping cattle out of streams, so there is a lot of pollution in our rivers and groundwater. Don't even get me started on the James River.

Spring water from the store is a good alternative. Just be careful to adjust him to it slowly as spring water is often very hard.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #12 
SlabSided

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
... your drinking water might be the poop water for cattle a long distance away
Oohhhh.....thank you for that image.

As for acclimation, would it be better to do a 100% change and acclimate him from the cup like when he first came home, or should I leave him in the tank and replace a gallon (or two) at a time over the next few days?
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Sorry! I drank bottled water for a little while after my hydrology class prof showed us how farms far away can affect our water. It's also one of the reasons I never want well water.

I think it would be better to spread the water changes out over a few days. I think the shock of going from soft water to what has the potential to be very hard water would be too much for him.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You may not be as bad off as you think. My nitrates were reading 10/20ppm and variable, even with severe shaking. And the bottle still clogged up on occasion.

I used this method:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...9/#post1057683

Now my nitrates read consistently 5/10ppm.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #15 
Hopeseeker

I had a nitrate level of 40ppm yesterday....it's never been that high for my fishies living where I'm at now....but, I'm also doing a fish in cycle with a 10 gallon divided tank with 2 boys....I did a partial water change by the end of the day and am doing water tests at least every other day...my 15 gallon is so going to be fish-less cycling, but I didn't want to continue to keep the boys in 16 oz clear cups....I have no clue what my water kind is...it might be well water...
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #16 
Hopeseeker

OK. ...we do have well water! And I tested the water that's for changes and it's high in nitrates! Any ideas on getting it lower ? My filter only has a sponge in it. ....it's the Fluval u 1.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

You don't have an outside tap-maybe one on the well house.....

Personally, I think you will be fine with the nitrate level-its the long term sodium and absent magnesium/calcium that might be a problem....

Agree, you don't want to replumb the house........if you can find real spring water that should work fine-but use a dechlorinator with it too......Make 25% water change every day for a week to get him acclimated-then back on your regular schedule-be sure and do a slow acclimation if you do any 100% water changes later down the road too-this is with any source water and 100% changes....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #18 
SlabSided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You don't have an outside tap-maybe one on the well house.....

Personally, I think you will be fine with the nitrate level-its the long term sodium and absent magnesium/calcium that might be a problem....
Don't have a well house. It's newer construction so just a PVC pipe housing sticking out of the ground. Everything else is under the house, there might be a spigot, can't get under there right now because I just had the house painted and the painters painted the access door shut. Just haven't had the time or inclination to pry it open. I'm pretty sure the spigots on the outside of the house are piped after the filtration systems, but I think I'll test them too just for grins.

So is there something I need to do for the sodium/magnesium/calcium? AQ salt?

Anyway, I'm going to replace a gallon today with spring water and another tomorrow then test and see where we are. I might be able to use a mixture of the two, just dilute things a bit with the spring water. That way I can use my tap water to bring it up to the right temperature.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Thanks!
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Dang those painters......how do you water things outside...like if you had a garden or flower bed or something...I guess every state is different with codes...In my state the well house with the pump has to be at least 50 feet from the house and from any sewer/lateral line so not to cross contaminate drinking water...

The softening unit that use salt- makes the water soft by Ion exchange-the sodium/salt used in the unit exchanges the magnesium/calcium and other minerals in the water- and by soft I mean in the sense that it limits mineral deposits, soap suds and rinses out better/easier...etc....you can add stuff back to the water but you can't take the sodium out-You should research the unit you have-it should have a web-site that you can get a lot better information from than I can give you.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 
Twilight Storm

I still think if you can find it easily, you should toss in a glob of java moss ;) It really doesn't need anything but a little light, which you have. :D It's really a pretty indestructible plant ;) that's just my own opinion anyway. :D

Really hope this all works out for you, just checked in on the thread to see how you were doing :)
Best wishes again
TS :P
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote