Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #21 
SlabSided

I've done two water changes with the spring water - about 25% each time - and the nitrates are now between 5-10. Tuna Bob seems none the worse for the wear. I've also replaced the carbon in the filter with the Purigen, we'll see if that makes any impact. I plan to leave well enough alone now and retest on Saturday to see where we are.

OFL - I do have spigots on my house for watering the lawn, washing the car etc. I know what you are talking about when you say "well house" - we have those around here on older properties, back when the well pump mechanism was much larger, I guess, and needed its own little house. Today, they typically drill two types of wells around here - shallow, which leaves a concrete "mushroom" in your yard about 3-4 feet diameter; and artesian, which leaves a 6-8 inch pipe just wide enough to hold a small pump. The shallow wells might have a spigot at the well, I've never actually looked inside one of those mushrooms. But I know there isn't any room for one in the artesian well in my yard. There is a spigot under the house (got the door open..yay) but it appears to be plumbed after the iron treatment system so, long story short, I don't have access to "virgin" water from my well. I'm hoping my outside spigots are before the salt treatment system so at least I can bypass that when I draw water for the fish. I'll find all that out when I contact a well/water treatment company to inspect my system (I've been remiss in getting that done here lately). I've also ordered a GH/KH test kit so I can test ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING from every conceivable water source!

Twilight - I DO intend to add plants, but I can only obsess about one thing at a time - I'm weird that way - and right now I'm spazzing out about the nitrates in my drinking water. Once I've calmed down or resolved that, I'll focus on plants. I also need to make sure I can bypass the water softener since that apparently is bad for plants....no point in adding in a plant just so it can die.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #22 
SlabSided

UPDATE: I tested the water today and nitrates are below 5! All other parameters are great. We have success! The plan now is to continue with 1/2 spring water and 1/2 my water every water change until I figure out if there's anything that can or should be done with my tap water.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

Now on to the plants....
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote