Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

Strange Damage

My sister and I recently moved out of our house into an apartment. we slowly acclimated to the new water over the course of a few days.

My sister came in just a few minutes ago to show me my favorite girl, Sabino. All of our bettas have been cupped with lids, so the snails and each other have had literally no opportunity to do anything but posture at each other.

Sabino has what looks like chunks ripped up near the base of her tail. It doesn't look bloody and I'm unsure if it is a fungus or bacteria, but she is unable to physically do that damage to herself.

She's been in slightly colder water than she's used to, but it's still within an acceptable tropical range (We're still working on getting tanks set up and all that). The water has been sitting at about 76-77 and has been slowly been getting changed over (so ammonia is higher than it should be, but we would rather deal with some burns than osmotic shock)

It doesn't really look like a fungus, but I've never really dealt with one to be honest. It looks more like a big, rough scrape. I don't know where it might have come from since she's been in her cup the whole time.

We're going to start treating with aquarium salt in hopes it might be a bacteria or fungus that will respond to that, but has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

She's had zero contact with other fish or the snails and has been in her own cup for a few days now. All the cups have secured lids on them.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

if they are the pet store lids check the underside of the lids. They have scratchy stuff sometimes and she could have been jumping and hitting the lid.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

I'll check that immediately. Didn't think she might have been doing that.

*** Just checked the lid and there aren't any sharp edges. It's flat all the way around the air hols and the sides too. It looks like something burst in the inside of her skin, but she's displayed no bumps at all.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 04-23-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

It's really weird. Maybe it's a stress related thing? Like flaring to hard even? I'm out of ideas. Sorry :(
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

I'mg going to get some pictures tomorrow to give a better idea of what's happened. right now I think she just needs to be stress free in the dark. don't think a camera flash would help her get her beauty sleep anyway.

she's acting a little stressed too, but nothing drastic. It's more that she's in a cup and not in her cave I think. I haven't tried feeding her yet, so I'm not really sure on that either.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

According to my sister, the scales around the area have pretty much all fallen off. she did have a solid white marking in that area, but we assumed it was her marbling color since she'll change from black to red from time to time along with changing patterns.

There's definitely chunks of flesh missing from the area.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

The surrounding flesh has become red and a little inflamed. We upped the salt, but we still need some help with a course of treatment.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 
NoahG

I figured due to the quick progression a strong antibiotic would be the best bet. The Maracyn and Maracyn II might work as well from my understanding.

Isn't OldFishLady also considered one of the authorities on here regarding Betta diseases and such?
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Here she is as of just a few minutes ago. The area is becoming redder and it looks like he flesh is starting to fall off. We really need help with this fast since it's gotten so much worse over the course of just a few days.

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gal hospital
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Usually a sorority

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Pellets, Spirulina, FD bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, 1 day fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus, Stress Coat, Aquarium salt 2 tsp/gal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Open sores, scales falling off in area, redness and deterioration
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic and no appetite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 Days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt, upped to 2 tsp/gal
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~1.5years
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #10 
NoahG

Oooh, wow, my best guess (and gut feeling) is to treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic (I think Kanacyn is one?).

Hopefully someone else with more experience is able to help you out a bit more though.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote