Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #11 
Pataflafla

We've got tetracycline, maracyn, and maracyn 2 on hand.

Unfortunately we won't be able to afford Kanaplex or Kanamyacin at the moment. I'm going to start a little fun so we can have those on hand for any other future issues.

I think we're going to mix Maracyn 1 and 2 for treatment though, but I want to hear other opinions before starting.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #12 
Silverfang

I had a girl with something like this, she didn't last long, about 24-36 hours after I discovered her. I had thought she had been attacked/bitten.

Second thought is bacterial infection, sorta like a tumor that had ruptured. I think the antibiotic is a good idea, Kanaplex is a fairly strong on, might want to run this by Sakura.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

I sent her a message earlier this morning, but she hasn't been online yet. Hopefully she will be soon.

I just did a water change for Sabino and I'm letting her calm down before starting up the air tube for the hospital tank. Hopefully the maracyns will be enough to take on whatever this is, since it literally sprouted up over the course of a day.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi Pata, I'm sorry I was offline for a day. Your poor girl! That looks like a bacterial infection to me. Mild stress at the move probably caused ever-present bacteria to take hold with a vengeance.

Check your pH. If it's over 7.2 or so, the Maracyn combo won't be very effective as it doesn't work well in high pHs. You can still try it even if you have a high pH but it just won't be as effective.

Keep her in the AQ salt. If the Maracyns fail to have any impact at all, PM me and I'll express mail you some Kanaplex for her.

Otherwise, you know the drill. Clean water, good food, etc. With you, she's got the best chance possible because I know you'll take excellent care of her.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #15 
Pataflafla

I'm not really sure as to what the pH is, but everyone else has had no difficulties with acclimating in the least. We lost a few mollies to sudden deaths, but I'm positive it was from lack of oxygen during the move since it was 2 in the transfer tank before we even moved them and then 2 the next day after the tank had been set up. We unfortunately lost our original molly mom, our male, one of the sickly babies, and unfortunately Sunny D the platy.

I know aquarium salt shouldn't be used in combination with medication, but should I make an exception for this case or take her off and start the maracyn combo?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I think in a few rare cases, DarkMoon has used AQ salt with meds. But when in doubt, ditch the salt and hit the meds. How is she acting otherwise?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

She's upset that I keep turning the light on and disturbing her nap time.

I'm gonna see if she'll eat some bloodworms for me since she's not big on spirulina and the pellets are the same old. She hasn't eaten since we moved in a few days ago.

She's holding herself in a more relaxed fashion than she did in the sorority and isn't clamping up at all. She isn't having any sbd issues or trouble swimming around.

She's just pale and obviously not feeling to well.

***** She scoffed at my offering of bloodworms. She's definitely not feeling to well.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 04-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #18 
Sakura8

:( Poor girl, I wouldn't feel too well either if I had some big gashes in my sides. Normally, I would say she might have sustained some kind of damage in the move that then led to the wounds getting infected, but if she was transported in a little Petco/Petsmart cup, that isn't very likely as there's nothing to get caught on.

There are a few parasites that could cause this kind of damage but we can rule them out if she hasn't been darting or rubbing or anything like that.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

She hasn't displayed any darting or rubbing at all. she just moseys around the hospital tank.

I'll do another water change and start the medication. It hasn't really responded to the salt for the past day and we upped it last night, so I was hoping for some improvement.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #20 
Sakura8

If you have Stress Coat, use double doses of that. A lot of slime coat will help her fight off any further infection.