Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #21 
Pataflafla

So some bad news. We only have one packet of maracyn. My sister just kept the boxes even though they were empty.

So I've got 1 packet of maracyn and about 3 packets of tetracycline.

Would General cure be of any help with this? I've got a full box of that at least.

What kind of parasites might be able to do this sort of damage? I'll look them up and see how best to treat, but I think I'm gonna have to journey out to Petsmart tonight for medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #22 
Pataflafla

I'm going to start treating with Tetracycline since I don't have enough maracyn on hand. Hopefully the weaker medication will be enough to get her back on track.

she's definitely losing scales on and around the area. They are raising and then falling off. the rest of her body is normal, it's just around the infected areas.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #23 
Pataflafla

The redness around the areas is already fading. I'm taking this as a good sign and hoping for a quick recovery.

We'll be starting the air tube tonight for some extra aeration to help out more.

I used Prime for the conditioner this time along with a triple dose of stress coat.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Sorry, cleaning out fish things. Tetracycline is pretty good too. For basic meds to have on hand, Tetracycline and General Cure are both good.

Skin flukes could cause this kind of damage and bacterial infection could cause the rest. But I'm thinking for ulcers to form and pop, there would have to be a lot of flukes and she probably would have been darting/rubbing.

Localized pineconing does happen with some bacterial infections so it isn't too surprising that the scales in that area raise up. In fact, she could have had a small wound there from before you moved and the stress of moving just caused it to get worse. In cases like these (kept alone in a cup for several days), it really is hard to know the exact cause.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #25 
Pataflafla

I think I'm going to redose her on tetracycline every day after a 100% water change to make sure the treatment is at full strength all the time.

Hopefully after 4 days it'll be gone or good enough that aquarium salt will handle it.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Yeah. If she'll eat, then I have pretty good hopes for her. I only really start to worry when they won't eat. Good luck, Pata, and happy housewarming now that you've moved.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #27 
Pataflafla

You need to teach Sabino the proper way of housewarming. She's a little bit off in the wrong direction on that one.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #28 
Sakura8

She is, isn't she?

Keep us updated.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #29 
Pataflafla

The area is still red, but It looks like the infected skin is falling off now. I just di another water change an redosed the medication for her and I picked up a lot of white chunks. I'll post pics in a little bit since she's stressed from the water change.

She's developed an odd coughing sort of motion with her mouth though. Like she's trying to spit out food, but this was only after I added the new dose of medication. Could this be just a reaction to the medication being gross or something different?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #30 
Sakura8

It could be a reaction to the medicine. I know DarkMoon once said that it can throw off their sense of smell and taste. I'm glad the infected parts appear to be falling off and good work getting them out of the tank right away. Honestly, exactly how she got this infection will probably always be a mystery but who cares as long as she gets over it. :)