Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #1 
wulfie

question for aqueon mini bow 2.5 owners

I've had this tank for about a week now, and although it's not 'great', it does do the job. My question is, the incandescent light that came with it gives off a very yellow tint, can this be replaced with a fluorescent bulb? If so, what should I look for? 10W or a 15W? Any help would be greatly appreciated
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I got the aqueon 50/50 flourescent for the aqueon betta bow-which is the same tank I think. If you look under the hood it should say what the max is your tank can take. I think it may be 15 watts. most of the mini flourescents are 10 watts.

I don't know about different bulbs... but the bulb I bought creates a very bad smell when the light is on. The strong smell scares me and I put the incandescent back in. I had contacted aqueon and they replaced the bulb with a different one. The smell is still strong after about 15 min of having the light on.

Personally I am sticking with the incandescents for now. but if you do find a flourescent that does work with no scary strong odor please PM me.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 
wulfie

I got a ZooMed Ultra Sun 10W 2500k CFL, seems to be working great
http://www.petco.com/product/111943/...t=OnSiteSearch
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 
LionCalie

I had the same problem. I couldn't stand the crappy yellow tint the incandescent bulb gave off. Not to mention I noticed the hood would get really hot because incandescent put off a lot more heat than fluorescent.

I would recommend a fluorescent bulb if you want good lighting; 10 watts is good for the 2.5 gallon.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 
atomicjade

Not sure if this is helpful, but I had an Aqueon 16 gal. bowfront and I used it for saltwater. I replaced the lights with two power compacts (fluorescents) and one burnt out rather quickly.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #6 
keroni

I purchased the 2.5 beta bow yesterday, along with another beta to live with my existing beta (which I had in a mini bow 1 for some time before the filter died). The new addition was quickly able to squeeze between the partition and the wall and fortunately my older beta was able to get through to the other side (I didn't see this happen). I re-adjusted the partition attempting to rectify the problem but the new guy got back over on the wrong side last night and has traumatized my older fish. He'll be lucky to make it. I don't recommend this tank and have written to the manufacturer to ask if they have improved the partition.
keroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 
wulfie

it's a great tank for a SINGLE betta once you swap out the filter and replace the incandescent light with a CFL ;)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #8 
keroni

lesson learned What filter are you using with yours?
keroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 
kfryman

The light linked is great I have it in my mini bow 2.5 and my mini bow 5. It will grow plants very well and makes your tank look much better as well as making your fishs color pop. I would recommend trying live plants with that light, the only thing you may need, depending on plants, is ferts. Of course many plants will do fine with just ammonia, what your fish creates. Anubias, java fern, hygrophila difformis or any hygro plant is easy, swords as well. Ludwigia, rotala, and some other plants may require ferts.

With the new light you would need to watch the time the light is on. It can grow algae, very well if you keep it on too long. 12 hours should be the max.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #10 
wulfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroni View Post
lesson learned What filter are you using with yours?
I'm using the Marina i25 internal filter, it's still just a tad too strong, so I'm gonna baffle it with a rubberband and some filter sponge