Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #11 
banana0217

Yeah, I did read about that, but honestly for going both ways that would get really expensive. Almost like having to transport another person. I guess I'll probably just have to do without. I wouldn't want to cause the poor thing undue stress because of my situation.
banana0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #12 
Cattitude

Hmm... all I can think of is to get a somewhat larger tank (maybe a 5-10 gal hex), do a water change right before you leave, and use the vacation aquarium blocks which contain slow-release food and chemicals that help the water quality. I've used those before when I went away for a week.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #13 
sparkyjoe

OK, this is gonna sound odd, but is there any chance you could leave your fish with someone who's going to be staying? Maybe offer to pay then a little something?

Or, even crazier, have you thought of a pet sitter? Maybe you could post something on Craigslist to see if anyone woul dbe interested for a modest fee? (You could offer to pay 1/2 up front and 1/2 when you pick him up *alive*.)

IDK, just some ideas.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #14 
xSTOTTSx

I have a Marineland Crescent, that I bought from Petsmart for pretty cheap. It is a 3 gallon, so I don't use a filter, although it does come with the bio-wheel filter. It has a nice light, also! Look into it, you might like it's size.
xSTOTTSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #15 
banana0217

If I could find someone I knew, that would be ideal.

You know, I volunteer at the local animal rescue league almost weekly. They don't usually have fish there, but do you guys think they would be willing to look after a betta for a couple of weeks?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #16 
Cinderwolf

Well, when I moved cross country we brought my old better fish on the plane in a glass mason jar. Then again that was before the hole " not allowed liquids on planes" thing. The flight attendants kept asking if he was alright and he stayed in the jar for a month until his bowl got shipped with the rest of our stuff. It is optimal , of course but it wasnt long term. ( we didnt kno anything about betta's back then so we didnt heat his bowl..)
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #17 
banana0217

Cattitude: Do you think something like this would work?
I realized my break is actually three weeks, so that's a week less than I thought before.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4056278
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #18 
banana0217

Alternatively, I could get a bigger kritter keeper and get a filter for it.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #19 
jaela

I'd say get a bigger critter keeper and get a cheap, low-flow filter for it, like a hyrdo-sponge maybe. I think it would end up being cheaper in the long run.

I'm keeping betta fish in a dorm/res hall type place, too, so hit me up if you want to chat about anything specific relating to keeping them in that kind of environment. =]
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #20 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana0217 View Post
Alternatively, I could get a bigger kritter keeper and get a filter for it.
The tank - is exactly what I bought a few days ago. It would work. Here's a thread I started asking people here what their impressions of this model are.

The kritter keeper: If you're not planning on moving the fish with you when you travel, you could get it - or you may as well get either a glass aquarium of similar size or a tank setup like the one above. Plain glass aquaria can be quite reasonably priced, then you just choose a filter, hood etc.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, college, desktop, inexpensive, tank