Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #21 
Boscobear

Venus Flytraps

I live very near the area where the venus flytrap exist naturally, meaning it has not been transplanted there. An area between North & South Carolina. The students from Clemson U. went into this protected reserve a few years ago, and tattooed the root systems on these flytraps growing there. This was done to try to halt the poaching of some of these beautiful large plant systems.
I have a few plants that have been growing out back of my house for a couple decades. Do not forget, they need to feel some winter weather. They need to feel a short cold spell. It does not do a deep freeze here, just a little cold, a few days during the winter where it may drop down to the middle 20's for a few hours at night, and then back to the 50's during the day. The plant needs this so it comes back stronger in the spring.
My plants live on the bank of the Lake I live on. Just a few feet from the water. They also have Pitcher plants in the area that thrives here along with the Venus Flytraps.
Boscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #22 
Wolfie305

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I know this is a very mature question (sarcasm, lol), but has it ever . . . bit you? lol
LOL!! I used a pair of scissors the last time I fed him, so I haven't been bitten yet. However, their "teeth" are very soft so I can't imagine it would hurt. They have three little spikes inside of their traps though, so I'm not sure how those would feel o.o
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think it'd be worse for the fly trap.. you'd probably have to rip it off. :(
I went to home depot today but they had no fly traps. -sob-
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #24 
lvandert

those are just trigger hairs on the inside, they dont hurt lol. Think if they were hard when you squeezed them they'd cause damage to the plant. Although I never squeezed mine, but then again I fed it live baby crickets...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #25 
newarkhiphop

what kind of camera do you have?
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #26 
Wolfie305

My camera is a Nikon D3100. I was using my kit lens for those photos.

Olympia - I had no luck with Home Depot and went to like 1849384923839293 of them. Went to Lowes and they had a bunch.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, Lowe's is good for weird stuff. That's actually where I plan on looking next.
I've been researching carnivorous plants and there's so many cool kinds. I like the sundews, they look like it just rained on them. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #28 
Finch

I love my carnivores. I have VFTS; nepenthes; American pitcher plants and a ping. Check out terraforums.com for a ton of great info on all kinds of carnivorous plants.
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #29 
nel3

i got a VFT today, its only 2 inches tall and 1 1/4 inches wide. 10 traps are open on the plant. i have yet to transplant or change the soil. apparently they need distilled or RO water. i live near an airport so i dont know if the rain water is safe. i do have a 5g jug of distilled and ozonised water, im presuming its safe water for the plant. must i keep the plastic cage on it for its whole life or make a better place for it to live in? im planning to get some 4inch pot with proper soil and put the current plant with its dense soil in there. the plant is in full sunlight for half the day and indirect light the rest of the day.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #30 
Wolfie305

No, take it out of the little plastic container it comes it, I think they package them like that because the traps grow horizontally outward and might get ruined during shipping.

As for pots, they like 6-8in deep pots so their roots have plenty or room to grow. For mine, I put some rocks at the bottom of the pot and then filled it with 1 part Peat Moss and 1 part Pearlite - the recommended soil.

Yes, they can only be water with rain or distilled water.