Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 
KasaraWolf

Heating Question?

Alright! So I have a question about heating for my little finned friends.

I have about...8 tanks total (9 if you count my Toad, Big Bob lol) I have a TON of heaters and such plugged into my wall, and well, my Dad is not really too happy about that ^^; Every time he comes into the room, he says I am going to blow a circuit. (His work is with wiring/electricity and so forth) I was originally thinking I should just a very long tank and put my buddies in and divide it off, but that would be a total pain to empty out all the time DX

I was thinking that maybe getting one of those large heating pads for reptiles and putting it under all my tanks for heating. Do you think that would work out or no? I am kind of so-so on it, because I am not sure if it would actually heat the water to 76-78. I would also think a heat lamp, but that wouldn't work out either because it would be turned off at night X_X

Anyone else have some suggestions? They would be much appreciated!

Also, here is a picture of my new buddy, Boromir the Dragonscale Plakat, to make this thread not seem so dull ;)

KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I think a divided tank is definitely the way to go. The other two options just aren't reliable. With a divided tank, you could easily cycle it, so you wouldn't have to be doing 100% changes. Even two or three tanks would be easier to care for than all 8/9 of them. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Divided is the way to go. I have the same issue and my BF always said I was gonna burn the place down. Ironic part is the day I was trying to move out 1/2 the building did burn down due to an electrical fire
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #4 
Wolfboy51

Love the name Boromir :D I love LOTR
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #5 
jeffegg2

What size are your tanks?
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfboy51 View Post
Love the name Boromir :D I love LOTR
You beat me to it !
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #7 
Wolfboy51

Definently naming next fish after LOTR character.
Probably Aragon :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #8 
KasaraWolf

Oh wow! I was surprised to see so many responses this morning!

@Bombalurina Alright! I will have to tell my Dad about it and see what he thinks! ^_^ Thanks!

@Tikibirds Oh Mai :o That's freaky!

@Wolfboy51 Same here!!! :D

@Jeffegg2 Lets see, I believe I have, Three 2.5 Gallons, One 3 Gallon, One 1/2 Gallon quarantine (Who has my friends fish in it right now) One 1 Gallon, One 5 Gallon and Two 10 Gallons. (One of the 10 Gallons has my toad and the other is for my other fish)
KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I agree. Divided tanks are the best way to keep a lot of bettas. With how many you have I would get two 20 gal long tanks. You should be able to put 4 males in each. As for filtration, you could do a betta barracks system. I've seen a few people with them around here, and I know LittleBettaFish has them. It would take some work, but it would be very worth it.

This site has a great tutorial for how to build your own dividers (it will save you money in the end). Tank Dividers @ petfish.net These tanks will also be less work. Being cycled (and even if you don't do it on purpose, they will cycle), you will only have to do one water change per tank per week.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 04-23-2012 at 05:30 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #10 
Bethydan

Yes, my 20-gallon tank is MUCH easier to keep up with than my 3-gallon. Just a water change once per week.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote