Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #1 
nel3

baffling a 2,5 aqueon minibow filter

i have a 2.5g aqueon minibow waiting for my betta. i have yet to set the tank up (fish ships jul 24) and i'd like to know the best option to baffle this filter. ive read the thread on how to baffle filters ie AQ sponge or a plastic bottle for certain waterfall types. can anyone please tell me whats the best option for this one? its one of theose carbon filters.

nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #2 
mcohen416

Im also interested in this as well... so BUMPING
mcohen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #3 
Sky

I'd like to know as well. I have the exact same tank and filter, but I don't keep it on while my betta is inside the tank b/c the current is WAY too fast and he hates it.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 
nel3

i could see an AQ sponge working but it probably wont last long with the fast current.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 
copperarabian

I use an aquarium sponge for mine and it works like a charm, I hold it there with a rubber band going around the filter(not over), it fits really well because of the shape. I've had mine baffled like this for about 2 months.

FYI
I only used the filter cartridge for a few weeks before replacing it small carbon bags I bought from Petco. The filter it comes with will grow algae within the first few weeks and I was constantly rinsing mine off in the sink to get some of it off.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I use an aquarium sponge for mine and it works like a charm, I hold it there with a rubber band going around the filter(not over), it fits really well because of the shape. I've had mine baffled like this for about 2 months.

FYI
I only used the filter cartridge for a few weeks before replacing it small carbon bags I bought from Petco. The filter it comes with will grow algae within the first few weeks and I was constantly rinsing mine off in the sink to get some of it off.
Would you mind providing a picture of it so we can use it as a reference? I'm new to the idea of sponges and have never used them before.

Also, I think I know what your talking about in regards to the algae. Is it really algae though? I thought that little space was naturally green and would just turn the filter green too.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 
nel3

i think the green sealant is just normal colour and it ever did leech into the water then it might cause some issues (unfamiliar with such certain sealant). i think atm that the sealant on the filter unit shouldn't have any colour dyeing effect on the filter pad itself.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #8 
copperarabian

The algae is brown and nasty, a lot of people complain about it and I don't know if it technically is algae or not but it totally annoyed me lol

Here's pics of the baffle

Here's the carbon bag, you can see a little bit of the brown "algea" starting to form, it's been about a month since I've used it so pretty good considering I need to replace it anyway. On the filter cartige it came with it was much worse.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
Sky

Thanks for posting the pictures! Is that sponge the "Elite" brand which comes with two? I think I've seen them before.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #10 
copperarabian

I get the cascade bio-sponges, but any should work