Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
darealicarly

Question suddenly flaring, will a lava lamp soothe him?

Hi! I just made my account today so forgive me if i do this wrong.
I got a male betta about a week ago, and he was really friendly to me until last night he started flaring at me every time I walked up to him. The pet store didn't really give me any instructions or information so I've been researching all day.
I hadn't seen him flare once until now and since he's been doing it he has a beard that he didn't have before. So i have been really worried :(
I have him in a gallon tank that was all I could find at pet land. They really didn't have anything, I was disappointed. Anyways, I don't have a heater or anything. Just a plant and rocks and i have a little cave ornament being shipped.
I've been reading so many different sites and they all says so different things, im not sure what to do. I read that putting a lava lamp by him will help soothe and make him feel better. I know it won't heat it and to turn it off at night time. But is this okay to do?
I've also seen people say not to do it because it will cause algae but I have been cleaning his water often. I need some input!
:) -Carly
darealicarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 
Mo

I Wouldnt do that. IMO most bettas flare at new/threatening objects, or sometimes gettign used to being rewarded after flaring. so he is most likely "showing off" for food as Ive found that some of my males will do this, or he could have gotten a memory of you possibly netting him, or puttting him in a cup which is slightly stressful. some of my males have also been known to do this during 100% water changes and moving tanks
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
darealicarly

Okay. Also, his underside looks a little swollen. I think i may have overfed him. Should i just not feed him for a while or does the pea thing really help?
darealicarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 
Mo

Bettas are carnivorous fish and They cannot properly digest any types of vegetation. or "greens". I would recommend watching out for Swim Bladder Infection, Not feeding for 24 hours. or until he isnt bloated, and feeding Frozen daphnia as this will help alot.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Definitely do get a heater ASAP. :) If you can have a cave ornament shipped, you can have a heater shipped too. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Heaters are very vital.
A lava lamp will soothe him? I'm sorry but that is the funniest thing I have heard in a while! Where on earth did you hear that! :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
Mo

I would even expect the lava lamp to make him more aggressive due to the constant movement and bright colors resembling threatening objects/fish. Not to help we aggression and makethe levels of aggression lower

Tags
flaring, lava lamp