Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 
garigou56

Betta Food

what are the kinds of food that betta usually eat? coz mine is being very stubborn about eating
garigou56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

In the wild, Bettas usually eat live mosquito larvae and water fleas things like that. If u can't provide that then try live brine shrimp that u might find at the pet store. If u can't find either of these then give it frozen foods or freeze dried. Oh, and make sure that the live food isn't from the wild like ants or outside Mosquitos. They carry pesticides and bacteria. And if it's live from the pet store I think u should wash it if it's dirty. And feed small quantities there is a chance of ur betta getting dropsy from live foods. And if ur betta is new, then leave it be 4 a few days and try 2 feed it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
garigou56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
In the wild, Bettas usually eat live mosquito larvae and water fleas things like that. If u can't provide that then try live brine shrimp that u might find at the pet store. If u can't find either of these then give it frozen foods or freeze dried. Oh, and make sure that the live food isn't from the wild like ants or outside Mosquitos. They carry pesticides and bacteria. And if it's live from the pet store I think u should wash it if it's dirty. And feed small quantities there is a chance of ur betta getting dropsy from live foods. And if ur betta is new, then leave it be 4 a few days and try 2 feed it.
ok i think ill wait a couple more days because i just got him on saturday. do you think maybe thats why he's not eating yet?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
Mo

Did you just get him recently ? if so then he could have what is called "acclimation" or "new Tank Syndrome" which is a relatively small period of time usually spanning within 1-5 days but sometimes up to around 2 weeks in which the betta gets accustomed to his new environment. usually during this small period of time the betta isn't very active and wont eat. and Is usually more susceptible to stress related diseases.

what type of food are you feeding? Some bettas actually are very picky about what they eat and consume. and some foods typically aren't preferred by most bettas. I would recommend high quality foods with a good nutrition content with all vital ingredients to good health and a strong immune system. Such as Omega One Pellets, Attison's Betta Pro, and New Life Spectrum. because they have high nutritional value, and have the key components to a healthy diet

Lebron the betta. most of the information is incorrect that you gave

In the wild. bettas do eat live foods but the range of foods they eat and consume is much larger than you can typically provide in the home aquaria. only using foods such as mosquito larvae and water daphnia, is not healthy long term as these products alone dont contain the key ingredients and components to a healthy diet with every vital part of there diet.

Also bettas do not get dropsy from being over fed. they get dropsy as a result of another disease. dropsy is more of a symptom than a disease or sickness. it is when the organs are beginning to fail and the fluids are building up

Feeding freeze dried foods can cause Swim Bladder Disease and/or bloating. unless precautions are taken and you re-hydrate it. I would be against feeding them

Last edited by Mo; 04-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I guess so. It depends on each betta. Sometimes it's about their pickiness or its just b- cuz their new. Just try different foods that are most popular and not that expensive later on. Is he lethargic or looks sick??? If he does tell me and look on the Internet if he does. Don't worry about this it's normal 4 bettas 2 do this when they get transported 2 a new home.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 
garigou56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Did you just get him recently ? if so then he could have what is called "acclimation" or "new Tank Syndrome" which is a relatively small period of time usually spanning within 1-5 days but sometimes up to around 2 weeks in which the betta gets accustomed to his new environment. usually during this small period of time the betta isn't very active and wont eat. and Is usually more susceptible to stress related diseases.

what type of food are you feeding? Some bettas actually are very picky about what they eat and consume. and some foods typically aren't preferred by most bettas. I would recommend high quality foods with a good nutrition content with all vital ingredients to good health and a strong immune system. Such as Omega One Pellets, Attison's Betta Pro, and New Life Spectrum. because they have high nutritional value, and have the key components to a healthy diet
yea i just got him a couple of days ago so maybe thats why he's reluctant to eat. i think he's ok with the food though because when he first arrived he ate a quite a few pellets and seemed fine with it. also he was really quiet and subdued since this morning then i got him one of those decorations where he can go in and come out and i think he likes it because he's moving around a lot more than the past couple of days so that's a good sign right? and also which is better for bettas: flakes or pellets?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 
garigou56

Quote:
I guess so. It depends on each betta. Sometimes it's about their pickiness or its just b- cuz their new. Just try different foods that are most popular and not that expensive later on. Is he lethargic or looks sick??? If he does tell me and look on the Internet if he does. Don't worry about this it's normal 4 bettas 2 do this when they get transported 2 a new home.
no he kinda was lethargic yesterday but this morning i got him one of those decorations and some more plants and he's swimming around more than he used to and he doesn't look sick either.i'll keep trying different kind of food. thanks:)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Mo,

I am sorry. I did not know this info. I went 2 different websites and it said
This things I am sorry. I am new 2 bettas and should have researched even more. Oh and Garigou, listen 2 Mo I am new at this 2. It's all b-cuz of the websites I went 2 and me. I'm so sorry. My betta seems to be happy though from the info I got from these websites. He's making a bubble nest but still listen 2 Mo.
P.S. I did not say these things sarcastically i am actually sorry.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 
garigou56

Quote:
Mo,

This things I am sorry. I am new 2 bettas and should have researched even more. Oh and Garigou, listen 2 Mo I am new at this 2. It's all b-cuz of the websites I went 2 and me. I'm so sorry. My betta seems to be happy though from the info I got from these websites. He's making a bubble nest but still listen 2 Mo.
hey no don't worry about it and don't apologize. but yeah ill just wait a few days like Mo suggested.thanks anyway:)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #10 
Mo

Quote:
Mo,

It's okay. It's just that feeding only 2 types of foods.... Especially those. It not very healthy long term as it doesn't contain all of the vital parts that contribute to a Betta Splendens diet. And I'm sure that you Betta are very happy though..

PS. Bubblenesting isn't always a sign if happiness. It is more so of an instinct and some bettas will even bubble best in the most endesirable of conditions
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food betta