Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
Kambria

Exclamation Betta 991, REALLY sick. :C

I really don't think he'll make it. I have no idea what to do to save him and I've just got to, I love him to death. He's been very lethargic and staying near the top of the bowl for a while. I moved him to the sick fish tank, just smaller so he can be closer to the top and not struggle.

I've taken some videos of my poor baby, will link/attach. Ignore the fan in the background, sorry!

I'm hoping it's just a case swim bladder (not a good thing, but better than equilibrium problems...) since he's having trouble swimming downwards.

Details:
I recently moved away to college and lost ALL my fish supplies / have literally five dollars to my name, so my poor fish Weasley is roughing it. No filter, no heater.. But I've known plenty of betta to live 2-5 years without any fancy things. I just typically have all the best things for them, but I really can't afford it. I brought him from home (before I moved away to college) because it was bring him in a sack or let him get flushed. Obviously I wasn't going to let that happen so... yeah, but looks like I'm not keeping that from happening.

No kit to test the water, just some reliable betta water conditioner and a decent owner.

1 Litter tank, had some living plants that died from not enough sun light. Can only clean his tank every other week or the RA gets pissed. (not even supposed to have a fish). Tank is always room temp. though...

diet: 2-3 pellets a day, the package says five but that seems a bit much...

Videos of sick guy:
http://youtu.be/Hw5X0lDtJFw
http://youtu.be/SIsm7BSZ--U
Attached Images

Last edited by Kambria; 04-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Kambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 
Kambria

help.. :c
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #3 
True Indigo

I see no discoloration and not too much bloating (hard to tell). If you literally have no supplies, just try to keep his water warm. If you have some table salt or sea salt (DO NOT USED IODIZED SALT AND MAKE SURE IF YOU DO HAVE TABLE SALT, IT DOES NOT CONTAIN IODINE!) add like half a teaspoon to his water (dissolve it first in a little cup before adding it).

If you have no other supplies, I believe that's the best you can do. Just hope it works. :(
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #4 
Kambria

i've heard salt is horrible for them, even non-iodized? I'm so scared. :c
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #5 
True Indigo

Yes, make sure it's just salt, not iodized salt. A small pinch or half a teaspoon should be fine. It generally will help relax the fish and promote healing. Every time I change the water of my fish, I add some salt to his tank and it's better for him. A small pinch or half teaspoon will do him some good (remember to dissolve it first). Salt is only horrible if it makes the water actually like salt water or if the salt is iodized (which is poisonous to the fish).

I've been putting salt in my tanks for well over a month now. I've found they do much better for it and it's especially useful for sick fish.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #6 
Kambria

Okay, I sold my guitar to someone on my floor a few doors down. 50$, I went to walmart and got a heater, thermometer, Aquarium salt, a filter and frozen worms so he doesn't only eat pellets. And a fish net. :c what do I doooo now, I'm reading the salt package.. I just have him in a small Tupperware container, so not much salt... still a pinch?

also, title = 911*
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #7 
kfryman

Okay let's see, he may be poisoned by infrequent water changes in such a small container. He could have ammonia poisoning by my guesses. Though I am not an expert but i dont want you to feel all alone, I had a betta act just like yours. To tell you the truth, he didn't make it. Hopefully you caught it early. Try to do 100% every single day, it shouldn't take long as you just need to dump the water, put your betta in a small container, while you do this. Make sure you get the poop out as well as you want as little ammonia exposure as possible. If your water conditioner doesn't neutralize ammonia get one as soon as you can.

I think you are awesome for selling your guitar for your betta, don't see that happening a whole lot. The heater will also help him fight the poisoning, if he has it, as that is one less thing his body has to fight off. Bloodworms will help him with good nutrition so he can fight.

Salt isn't needed right now unless instructed by one of the disease people, Sakura or Myates. It can harm them if prolonged to exposure of salt, actually it will cause organ failure if prolonged so don't use it until the situation is dire.

Last edited by kfryman; 04-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #8 
Kambria

I just feel awful about this. I should've been a better owner instead of getting my act together last minute. ): I just hope the little guy makes it, I adore him.

I've added some salt and the heater, I'll let him rest over night. Fingers crossed..
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #9 
kfryman

After you do the 100% don't add salt it really isn't needed, any ways if it isn't external aquarium salt won't do anything. Internal things would use epsom salt. What's the water temp?

Some people wake up and see they need to do something like you, others have too much pride and feel that they are Doug everything right so as an owner you to me are considered responsible as you sought help when you needed it.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #10 
Kambria

It's 76-78 degrees F, & I really appreciate it. :c Thank you