Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 
Enkil

Color change...?

When I fed my dragons tonight, I noticed something odd. Leonidas caught my eye. He always does because he is my favorite of the three boys I bought from DarkMoon... but this was different. So I got closer to the tank and watched him for a moment. That's when I figured it out...

It seems that Leonidas' fins are turning red. I'm not sure if this should be happening or not. He was a black dragon up until now. No red on him. The only place you could really see that he was black was at his "racing stripe". The red color starts at the base of his anal and tail, spreading out from there slightly. There isn't too much right now, but I was wondering if this is a normal color change or if something might be wrong with him.

More info on his homing:
Tank size - 10 gal divided in 3
Tank mates - 2 other male bettas, separated by dividers
Temp - 78-80 degrees F.
Tank is filtered. Filter is baffled.
No sharp decorations. One live plant, an anubias in Leonidas' section.

Water was recently changed. Tank was cleaned including gravel vac. Treated water with Prime. Nothing new has been added to the tank.

No history of illness. He took a couple nips out of his tail and is healing nicely. Eating well and acting normal.

Eats pellets - NLS. Fed twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I have heard that bettas change color b-cuz of not feeling good OR b-cuz they were treated bad before and now theyre in a nice home. It depends though. Im new but I have heard sicknesses of fins turning red.Except that was 4 goldfish. Is the red like in lines outlining the fins or like is the whole fin turning red??? Dont worry just yet. If hes showing signs of lethargy or sickness. Just post more things of what has happened 2 him. Listen 2 things Mo says. Mo knows alot. Or other knowledgable members. Mo seems 2 have been with bettas alot since Mo's a senior member.
THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #3 
Mo

Are you noticing any behavioural changes?

Red streaks could be a symptom/indication of a lethal disease. But it also could just be natural coloration coming on. Typically you wouldn't expect this situation to be stress related as most stress symptoms concerning color diminishing are original color fading away in this case It doesn't seem to be color fading away.

If his behaviour has changed and he is not eating/stressed/in active. Then it could be septicemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Septicemia(Red Streaks)
•Symptoms: Bloody red streaks across the body and/or fins, lethargic, loss of apetite, clamped, gasping for air, bloated, ulcers.
•Treatment: Septicemia is caused by an internal bacterial infection. From what I’ve read, it can be due to compromised digestion as a result of rapid drops in temperature. Since Nitrite poisoning can also cause red streaks, check for that first. I do not know if it can be treated conservatively as I have never tried. Though it is not contagious, isolate sick fish. Perform daily 100% water changes. Treat with API Tetracycline, API Erythromiacin, Mardel’s Maracyn II OR Jungle’s Fungus Clear/Eliminator. If you are treating with something that does not contain Metronidoxole then combine the treatment with Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. During treatment, use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt and Stress Coat (as directed on bottle) to help prevent secondary infections.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 
Enkil

He's eating normally and is very active. As much as normal. He still greets me and hangs out in his anubias just like normal.

The red looks like a normal coloration, like his brother who is a red dragon and shows the red on fins and his "racing stripe". I've checked their water twice (because I worry a lot. I'm a worrier) and everything tested fine.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Sounds like he is just changing colour, either because he is aging, or in response to some environmental factor. Either way, I don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

Septicemia is a possiblity, but that's more in long, thin streaks like veins, rather than actual stripes.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Enkil:
Sometimes some colors are hidden until a later age - like red wash/blotches. I often have young solid dark colors that grows red on the anal fins (where fins meets body). Some colors are light (specially sunlight) related and will change color at an older age. Most often this is shown by solid paper white opaque and platinum - too much sun light often changes the white into black smudges.

IMO there is no health issue with you betta.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #7 
Enkil

Thank you very much.

I'm a worrier and so I worry when things start to change like that with them. Had thought something was wrong with Eva when she started to marble too.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

A lot of black dragons are based on a form of red based black (theres different forms of black). This sounds normal to me.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #9 
Enkil

I know a lot of the spawn was red and then lost the red. So I was unsure. Today he just looks pretty. It's a nice red wash, mainly on his anal fin.