Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
peachyqui

What does betta keeping involve?

Hi everyone! I just got a 55 gallon fish tank, and am already becoming slightly addicted, especially since my platies just had babies today - yay!! :) But I was wondering what keeping a betta involves. I know they're super aggressive, but can you just keep them in a fish bowl without a filter or heater? My room is really cold, so would they be okay at a cooler temperature? Thanks so much!
peachyqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
Aus

Bettas are tropical fish. They need a heater. Ideally, they need to be kept at 78-80F constantly - they don't like sudden change, like temperature shifts in the night. So a heater is -essential- for betta care.

Filtration is not 100% necessary, but it'll mean more work for you with water changes, as will a very small bowl, which will need several (stressful on the fish) large water changes per week. Think about getting 2.5 - 5 gallons, with a heater and filter. This is a much better setup in the long run for everyone.

They are easy to keep - but in a tropical environment, clean water, with good food. Otherwise they develop sickness after sickness or their lives are cut short by several years.

The FAQ and sticky threads here are a great place to gain further basic information on keeping this species. It's well worth taking the time to read through those.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

Grats to you and your babies! :D

Welcome to the forum btw ;)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

If you haven't read this already, this is a great sticky thread about betta care:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...are-faq-20058/
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
peachyqui

Thanks everybody!! I'll definitely check all this out!! :)
peachyqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachyqui View Post
Hi everyone! I just got a 55 gallon fish tank, and am already becoming slightly addicted, especially since my platies just had babies today - yay!! :) But I was wondering what keeping a betta involves. I know they're super aggressive, but can you just keep them in a fish bowl without a filter or heater? My room is really cold, so would they be okay at a cooler temperature? Thanks so much!
They need a heater. They will also be happier and healthier in a larger tank. I would say 3 gallons minimum. With a filter, you won't have to do as many water changes either. In a tiny bowl, you'd have to do 100% changes every single day.

In my 3 gallon (filtered), I do 2 50% changes per week.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures and seeing pics....

Enjoy your stay.....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #9 

Five gallon tank,with heater and small sponge filter would be my choice for one Betta.
Much prefer the idea of once a week water change, as opposed to more frequent changes without filter.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #10 
Sam Crow

My wife has a Betta, but since I'm the one taking care of it then I guess that makes it mine too. I must admit that it felt good to get that little guy out of his shot glass-sized dirty blue water cup and into a clean tank.

I keep my little guy (named Houdini) in a filtered 3 gallon tank. I had a heater in the tank, but the heater wasn't regulating like it should. I keep a thermometer in the tank, and it stays consistent at 78 degrees. No heater was needed. Living where I do, the weather outside rarely changes, so the temps in the house stay consistent as well.

I would keep a Betta in no less than a 3 gallon setup. Unless your temps are like mine, you do need a heater. I think a filter is needed as well. I got a 3 gallon starter kit from my LPS for $25 (cheaper than the "fancy" 1 gallon decorative bowl that had no filter). I bought the gravel for 5 bucks and added a live plant for $3. The Betta cost me $4. So for $36 total I have a great tank, a filter, gravel, a plant, a month supply of food, water conditioner, and a beautiful male Betta. To quote Martha Stewart, "It's A Good Thing".

Houdini got that name because he would often disappear behind the filter or the plant, then "magically" reappear. He loves swimming the length of the tank and responds to the sound of my voice. Great fish. I'm happy to give him a clean, happy and healthy home.

My 3 gallon tank for my Betta (Marineland Crescent 3 Gallon Aquarium System). I'll post pics of my tank and Betta soon.

This isn't a picture of my specific tank, just a picture from the stores website.

Last edited by Sam Crow; 04-27-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Sam Crow is offline   Reply With Quote