Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 
Breezy79

Question Mini Bow by Aqueon?

Are the mini bow tanks by Aqueon good for bettas? I am thinking about getting a couple more male bettas and I need some good tanks for a reasonable price and I don't like keeping my fish without filters or heaters..lol..
Also, out of curiosity do they make heaters small enough to work in the 2.5 gallon mini bow?
Breezy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy79 View Post
Are the mini bow tanks by Aqueon good for bettas? I am thinking about getting a couple more male bettas and I need some good tanks for a reasonable price and I don't like keeping my fish without filters or heaters..lol..
Also, out of curiosity do they make heaters small enough to work in the 2.5 gallon mini bow?
I have Romeo in a 2.5 gallon mini bow and for the heater I use a regular one and plop it on its side
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 
Breezy79

Thanks for the feedback, I will seriously consider buying a couple of them!
I have heard that the filter can be to strong tho... Is this true?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 
nel3

it can be a bit strong of a filter but the way i found to baffle the flow did leave 66% of the filter media untouched due to the intake baffle ie aq foam to prevent fins from being sucked in, aq foam and rubber band on outflow made it manageble for my vt.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy79 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I will seriously consider buying a couple of them!
I have heard that the filter can be to strong tho... Is this true?
Its on 80 degrees and it keeps the water at room temperature. :)
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

For less that the cost of the MiniBow you can get a 5galon Hawkeye from Walmart (check website) and it comes with a flourescent light.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
Breezy79

@vilmarisv cool!! Thanks for the tip!
@Xshainax I'll be sure to make sure they are set at 80.
@nel3 I'll probably need a little help from all of you explaining that, lol!
Thanks a ton!!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 
duluoz

I have the same tank. My only complaint is that the only heater I could find for that size tank doesn't work.

And I mean I bought it twice, and it broke almost as soon as I threw the receipt away.

EDIT: Technically not a problem WITH the tank. But a problem you might encounter.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

When I used to keep smaller tanks, I would go to Doctor Foster and Smith and but heaters from there becaue not only they are cheaper but because they tell you the size of the heater in the description. For the 2.5 bow there's an adjustable Hydor heater that fits perfectly, I think it's 5 or 7 inches.
Here's the link to the Walmart Hawkeye it was very popular in this forum about a year ago when it was on sale so you might find someone who has it and can tell you about it.
I don't have one because I switched to glass tanks a while back but was very tempted to buy a few of these.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #10 
Bettafeathers

I have the 2.5 gallon mini bow for my betta. It's a good tank for the price. The back of the hood has a hole for chords for the heater (well I'd assume the heater) which, if you're paranoid about jumpers may make you a bit uneasy but I've never had issues. I found the filter to be too strong and put a bit of sponge around the intake (cut it into a square and "screwed" it on kinda) and also baffled the output part with sponge and it works great. I found the light increases the temperature too, which isn't a bad thing in cooler months - but i wouldn't ever leave it on for extended periods.

For a heater, I use the Elite 25 watt mini heater (for that and my 5 gal) and it works awesome. You have to find the sweet spot for it to fit out that hole in the hood but it works awesome.
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, fish tanks, mini bow aquarium