Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 
Corytang

New guy! Reccomendations needed!

Hey all, my names Cory and I'm planning on getting a Betta. I bought a tank yesterday, 7.5 gal. Set it up with a peice of drift wood, two moss balls, some grass, forgot the name.. And a filter and heater! The filter came with the tank so I'm not sure if I should get a better one.. I was wondering what types of plants you guys reccomend and was also wondering if I could put a few guppies as well as cherry or ghost shrimp in my tank, thanks to any and all that reply! I'll post pics of my tank when I get home!
Corytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Hi, and welcome to the forum. (:
Sounds like you have a good home for your betta!
Guppies usually aren't recommended as tank mates because male bettas often mistake them for another betta. I also wouldn't have any fishy friends in anything under 10 gallons . . . You can have shrimp or a snail. Snails are your best bet as sometimes the bettas think the shrimpies are food. O.o Nerite snails are my favourite snail as they can't breed in freshwater and they eat algae!

Can't wait to see some pics! :D

Hope I helped. (:
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Welcome!!! I am new 2 this forum 2!!! Just after 2 days of being here, I have already learned a lot. Anyway, back 2 this, You're tank seems 2 be really big!!!
First of all, guppies are not recommended, as I agree with MaisyDawgThirteen, as Bettas may think they are others and start attacking them. Second, shrimp and snails are Okay with them. Third, plants that u might want are like java moss or fern. And maybe some Duckweed. But make sure it doesn't cover the WHOLE surface so they could breath. Make sure it doesn't cover 50% of the surface. There are other aquatic plants that U could use though. And last but not least THE FILTER. First of all, u need 2 cycle the tank. Its about getting enough beneficial bacteria in your filter so it could fight of the ammonia and nitrites, which are poisonous 2 all fish in high amounts. Good Luck 2 ur new tank.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
Corytang

hmm

Last edited by Corytang; 04-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #5 
Corytang

thats my tank so far! what do you guys think? anything i should add or take out?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I would suggest adding some upper and mid-level plants to give your betta cover. They come from densely vegetated areas and the cover gives them confidence. :)
For mid level, I suggest anubias and java fern, both of which can be attached to your driftwood.
For upper level, anacharis, hornwort, lacefern, ludwigia repens, rotala wallichi and ambulia have all worked well for me. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 
Corytang

thanks for the advice! does anyone know a place online i can get a few plants for cheap? i obviously dont need a lot.. oh and heres a better picture!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

The first picture didn't show up for me. :( I agree with Bomba on adding more plants.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #9 
mhxistenz

Welcome! You're off to a great start. I might be missing it but I don't see a thermometer in your tank. You definitely want to keep track of the temperature. If your tank doesn't have a lid or cover, you must get one, bettas jump. Check that your filter doesn't cause too much surface current, bettas prefer calm waters. Love your driftwood! :)
mhxistenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #10 
Silverfang

A bunch of pennywort left to float will work nicely
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote