Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 
freemike

Aquarium Backgrounds?

I want to do a plain black background on the tank, but Cosmo every time I hold a black t-shirt to the tank will flair at it almost unrelenting. Would he eventually chill out about it or best to go with another color? I thought about white as he didn't flare at it or red that way his reflection would blend in? I'm just not certain about having a white or red background though.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #2 
copperarabian

He might eventually chill out a little. The problem with a black or dark colored background is it's very reflective. I personally prefer backgrounds that show plant life :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 
registereduser

I painted the outside back wall of my tank with green and blue glitter paint. No flaring. I love it and plan to do the same with the 20 gallon, maybe silver and green.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
freemike

Well I used a black trash bag and 30 minutes later he is still flaring and fighting with the glass. I took it down, but I tried a white shirt like said before but that just seems awkward. Ugh... why does he have to be so hard to get along with lol.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
wystearya

I got a new background (and a new tank) the other day. It took a few days, but Comet is finally getting used to it. He was flaring constantly at the new background (plant life picture) but he isn't doing it nearly as much now.

It might just take time. Or maybe something that isn't a solid color?
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

I wouldn't encourage you to wait until he gets used to it. The process is very stressful and goes against the nature of your betta.
It might also lead to tailbitting and many other related problems.
I don't have backgrounds in my tanks and I like it that way because I'm not putting my fish under stress, it's just the white wall behind the tanks.
You've created this perfect home for your bettas where he feels comfortable and secure but then it's invaded by this other fish that does not go away and wants to fight him all the time... this is how I've always seen it.
Try to use a different background that doesn't create a reflection.

Last edited by vilmarisv; 04-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote