Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
bloo97

For Newbies: Betta Fish Names.

Here is a fun little "For Newbies" post. This will be a stupid post to some, and to others, pretty helpful. You decide.

Like any pet, you are going to want to name your fish. But how do you name a fish?

1. Personality:
Look at your fishes personality. What does it like to do? Is there anything unique or special that your fish does? If it chases bubbles, you could name it Bubbles. If it flares at everything, you could call it Flare.

2. Color:
Another key thing to naming your fish is it's color. If he is a bright yellow, you could name it Sunshine. If it is red, you could name it flame. If it is red, white, and blue, you could name it Patriot.

Sometimes, you may also want to name your fish after a past fish, or after a family member.

The choice is yours!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 
ds2009

I think this is a great thread! I named my boy crooks because a small part of his dorsal fin is crooked lol. Naming a new betta can be hard but if you observe their behavior (or in my case, body) then a name might come to you. If i had watched crooks behavior before naming him, He could very well be named grumps lol :D
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #3 
Abby

-laughs- i named dastan and tamin BEFORE i laid eyes on them. melvin was a little harder i had pictures of him for a week and a half before i got him home and Benny and Nero my bf named them lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
HayrideHaunter

my old betta Prince was name "Prince of the Water" because i was like 8 and i thought he was absolutely magnificent. My little brother named his blue VT Bubbles because thats his favorite fish in finding nemo haha. Marbles i named because he has marbly coloring...i didnt know he was technically called a multicolor...I'm an art student in college so I figures his streaks and lines were considered "marble"...plus he loves the shiny marbles i put in his tank...stares at em too often for his own good haha.
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Well, all my pets' names start with the letter B - I liked 'Bamboo' but my husband like 'Brooke'. Since she's a sweet frilly girl, I think Brooke fits her fine!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #6 
dragonfair

So true, bloo. I named my after color, behavior, personality. Maximus acts like a little emperor, Mango looks like, well, a mango, Bravo needed a manly name cuz he was pink when I got him (he's orange now), Uncle Sam was actually red, white & blue (colors changed but the name stuck) & Mustang was rebellious, flaring at his food to 'kill' it before gulping it down.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2009 View Post
I think this is a great thread! I named my boy crooks because a small part of his dorsal fin is crooked lol. Naming a new betta can be hard but if you observe their behavior (or in my case, body) then a name might come to you. If i had watched crooks behavior before naming him, He could very well be named grumps lol :D
*I* named Crooks :P
And you call him Grumps more than Crooks anyway! >:P

I named my first (well cared for) betta Allejandro because, as I rode the bus back to my dorm, Lady Gaga's song "Alejandro" came on and my friends and I decided it was a sign! I think its fitting, because he's got deep red spots that are a little exotic looking, and so is his name XD
He is "All-ejandro" and not "Alejandro" because I wanted his nickname to not look like "ale" LOL I call him "Alle".

Macceroni was named because I bought him and went to lunch with my mum (silly mum....), so I had to sneek him in and keep him cozy warm on my lap. I went to Panera and got their maceroni and cheese, so Macceroni it was! His extra "c" is to charm up his name as well as to be reminiscant of his brother's extra letter. I call him "Maccies" <3 (though when he's being derp I call him No-Noodle, as in no brain :P)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I call him "Maccies" <3 (though when he's being derp I call him No-Noodle, as in no brain :P)
HAHAHAHAHA I love that! no-noodle...haha
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #9 
StarvingPoet

We name all our bettas after Shakespearean characters(currently Ariel, Oberon, Hero, Silvia, Viola, and Portia). Also we have decided that all Crowntails must be named after characters that have or, through the course of the play, gain some kind of royal standing.

English majors... go figure...
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

haha I ought to name my next fish Picasso or Vincent or Claude...that'd be an interesting way to go...(I'm an art major =3)