Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
mandamy234

Unhappy Is my Baby sick? :(

I don't know if my baby betta is sick, stressed, or I am just going crazy. About a week ago I saw a white dot/rash on top of him. I don't know if he got caught between the glass and the heater... or he cut himself on the gravel or plant that is in there... I DON"T KNOW.. I could use some help cuz I am a newbie. I love my fishy:)

Name:  betta.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  3.2 KB

Name:  betta2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  4.3 KB
mandamy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 
mandamy234

the questions.. i missed

Housing
What size is your tank?-- 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank?-- try to keep at 78
Does your tank have a filter?-- yes but only use when needed.. he hates the current..
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated?-- yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?-- He lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Regular food, came with tank
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every few months
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends on how gross the water is.. fully when gross
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "Betta Basics" buffers the pH and promotes health

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Never tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White spot on back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesn't want to eat as much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last Week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year .. younger
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Is the white spot fuzzy looking? I can't tell from the pics

Quote:
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every few months
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends on how gross the water is.. fully when gross
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "Betta Basics" buffers the pH and promotes health
The first order of business is to change his water! Even if the water looks clean, there is ammonia building up and it can burn their eyes, gills and fins. If the level is high enough it will lead to ammonia poisioning and death. The only way to remove ammonia is by doing water changes every week, even with a filter. The filter will catch some physical debris in the water but wont do a thing for the ammonia. The general recommendation here is 2X a week -one 100% change and one 50% change. For the 100% you also want to clean out the debris like uneaten food and poop from the gravel. Add in clean water, add in the conditioner and then slowly acclimate the fish back into the tank. Too much of a temp difference and it can cause him to go into shock.

If the filter current is too strong, you don't have to use it. A bigger tank, then yeah - you probably want a filter because it will do something called cycling which involved bacteria growing inside the filter. most people say anything under 5 gallons can't hold the cycle so I don't bother with filters on anything under 10 gallons. it will still catch some debris in the tank so if you want to use it, there are ways to slow down the water flow.

Quote:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Regular food, came with tank
Like tropical fish flakes? You may want to pick up betta pellets - if nothing else they are alot less messy then flakes.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #4 
mandamy234

thanks so much

I'd like to thank you for getting back to me so quickly.. I changed his water and from doing alittle bit more research I believe that my fish may have a small fungal or bacterial infection so I asked my Veterinarian that I work for and she recommended this liquid called "betta revive." Its a blue liquid that you apply one drop for every 16 oz of water in the tank and do 100 % water changes with this liquid for 3 days. Its the second day now and the spot isn't as white as when I started. I hope that the water changes just doesn't stress him out. I do like my fish alot.