Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #21 
MrVampire181

Have her ship the betta to a transhipper in the next shipment (I only recommend Linda or Jen). Pay the transhipper their fees (Linda is a bit more expensive but she's very good at what she does and her packing job is amazing) and they will ship the betta to you. Idk when the next shipment dates are.

BTW, the male is a little long finned for my liking, but he has good balance and his spread will throw a few HMs.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 04-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #22 
Thomasdog

Glad you experts like him! We are going to use Linda, and the ship date is the 6th for Linda. I am soooo exited!!! Even if he gives 5-10 really nice HMs, I am at least making that much money back here and on Aquabid. I am not in it for the money, but you know how it is! :) What do you mean by 'spread'? Is that his tail width?
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #23 
KadenJames

Spread = the size and conformation of the Betta's fins when he's at full flare. Similar to how people say the "spread" of an eagle is 5 feet, meaning his wings outstretched.

I'm so excited for you!! Be sure to post lots of pictures when you get him. :D
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

Linda is a really nice lady :) I pick up my fish from her. She helped me when I was getting started.

He is an OHM which means his spread is over 180 degrees.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #25 
Thomasdog

Is that a good or bad thing?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #26 
MrVampire181

IMO not good for showing but excellent to breed. It'll give that little extra chance of getting full halfmoons in the spawn.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #27 
Thomasdog

Cool!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #28 
Thomasdog

Ok, so correct me, but here is my new breeding plan! :D

We've come a longgg way!

1. Wait for Sparta to arrive (yes I did name the male x) )

2. Start conditioning. Put them far away from eachother and let them see eachother only once or twice a day for about 5 minutes. Do this for two weeks, or until the female becomes bloated with eggs. When they are seeing eachother, feed them lots of rich foods so they think it is breeding season and want to breed! (frozen bloodworms)

3. I'm a little confused about this part. I have been told a few different ways, so I'm left wondering which one is right.
Plan #1 Breed them in my 20gal. Someone told me to just breed them with 3 or 4 inches of water in my 20gal so I would'ent have to move them.
Plan #2 Breed them in a tub, then move them over to the 20gal when they are 1 month old or something. But I'm thinking that would be too stressful.

4. Feeding - here is where I am a little bit confused, a little bit sure. So I am surely going to feed BBS after the first week or so, when they get bigger so they don't die of choking or something dumb like that. So I've heard to get 'infushia' (spelled it wrong) Worms creep me out, so I don't think Microworms are going to work for me! (blegghh, I don't mind spiders and amphibians, but bleggh! Worms and snails! (NO offence anyone who likes snail and worms)) So would I get some live floating moss or something like that for the infushia to grow on for them to eat? Or is that how it even grows. I was just thinking that with a bare tank bottom, it would be hard to grow live plants... maybe moss or floating plants would be better so my tank would be cleaner and the babies would have another sorce of food.

5. When they are arund 1 month old (is this correct?) Start intorducting them to pellets. If they look too big, crush them up.

6. Culling - the deformed and REALLY ugly ones get *sigh* culled. Must happen, its for the better of everyone else. I will put them in a bucket of water with ice for an instant death.

6. When they start causing SERIOUS damage to eachother, seperate and sell. I am taking some more pictures of Sunny today, so ya'll can see how she looks (the other pics are kinda old)

Thanks for all the wonderful help! Just wondering if I was doing everything right.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #29 
Thomasdog

Ok, I'm thinking Java Moss because it helps a lot with the bio load, well, becuase there is going to be lots of fish together and I don't want anyone dieing from ammonia posioning.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #30 
KadenJames

=D GREAT job, you are definitely doing an awesome job preparing.

It's basically up to you whether you want to grow them in the tub and then move them, or start in a shallow-filled 20 gallon. I personally like the tub method because it keeps the male's attention on her 100%, I've found that even in a 15 gallon they occasionally lose each other and it takes that much longer to spawn. On the other hand, it would be a certain amount of stress on the babies if you move them from the tub to the 20 gallon. So long as you do it when they are old enough, I'm sure they would be fine.

Whichever you are more partial to, and if it doesn't work, try the other method next time. ;)

Growing infusoria in your tank is a great idea. Java moss is awesome, so is duckweed. It's fairly cheap stuff, too. It's a shame you don't like worms, because bettas love them at all ages. xD

Don't think I missed anything, looks like your knowledge is pretty well-rounded. Now it's time to put your noggin to the ultimate test! :P
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote