Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #31 
MrVampire181

I spawn in shallow 4 gallon tubs. I fill them half way with green water and almond leaf water. Add some plastic plants, another almond leaf, and some duckweed. I no longer use nest anchors. I place the male in the tank a day before the female. He usually will start a nest. Then I float the female in a cup and then a day or two later I release her.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #32 
Thomasdog

Wait, so the female swims in the cup for a day or two? Is that what you mean?
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #33 
Thomasdog

**I think that I am just going to try and spawn in my 20 gal. I really don't wait to have to do that tub deal**
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #34 
MrVampire181

I prefer smaller tanks to actually get spawns. Never have luck in anything with anything larger than 10 gallons. I recommend a good ol 10 gallon for a spawn tank. Especially with a red with long fins. Reds are mean. However long fins shouldn't have to chase too much.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #35 
KadenJames

Quote:
Wait, so the female swims in the cup for a day or two? Is that what you mean?
The female should be floated in a cup for a day or two in the spawning tank regardless of if you're breeding in the tub or your 20 gallon. Unless of course, you're using a divider, which I personally don't like using because the male should have complete run of the tank. The female will be just peachy keen in the floating jar. In fact, quite entertained by the male's seductive dancing. xD
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #36 
MrVampire181

Yup ^ Gets her in the mood to spawn since she'll be used to him after a few days.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #37 
Thomasdog

I have a ten gallon, but it is currently occupied by the rat..... I don't think she would be too keen on moving out and I have nowhere else to put her. So you think I should; Get a 10gal tub (it might have to be a bucket) breed and raise the fry in there? Or would just breeding in the 20 be better? Ugg I'm totally confusing myself
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #38 
vilmarisv

A smaller area for breeding is better. A 20 galon will be too large and your male will be exhausted from chasing the female. Plus, they might decide that the tank is large enough for the two of them and not breed for a while.
Do you have a way to section off the 20galon? Maybe a mesh divider to stop them from using one half of the tank? If you did this then you will just have to remove the partition once the fry are free swiming.
If not, then I would get a cheap 5-10 galon tub and spawn there, then use the 20galon for grow out.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #39 
Thomasdog

Yes, yes, yess!!!! How was I dumb enough not to think of it!!!! I have 2 mesh dividers that I bought for the tank and are in now!!! Phew, vilmarisv, you are amazing! I will cut the tank in half, and wellah, we have a 10g
Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #40 
vilmarisv

Haha... sometimes it takes a village

Still only fill 3-4inches of water. I've found that it works best when breeding HMs because the male doesn't have to swim too far for the eggs/fry which just takes a lot of energy out of him.
Best of luck! You have been preparing very well, accepting criticism and suggestions... I think that's wonderful!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote