Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #61 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
You need to research for at least a year before spawning bettas. If this is your first betta, you have no idea how they communicate and one or both fish may end up severely injured or dead.
Where is all this research that takes an entire year to study?? Perhaps by then you will have a Doctorate in Bettology?

Really now! But seriously, if you want to breed bettas, best to first learn to keep the fish and keep them healthy. If you can do that, then think about becoming a breeder.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #62 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Where is all this research that takes an entire year to study?? Perhaps by then you will have a Doctorate in Bettology?

Really now! But seriously, if you want to breed bettas, best to first learn to keep the fish and keep them healthy. If you can do that, then think about becoming a breeder.
It's recommended because if you were to read a few articles and then jump into it, you'll most likely fail. It also takes a long time to learn betta body language (ie "I'm going to kill you" vs "Hey pretty lady want to spawn?").
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #63 
KadenJames

There's also so much that goes into it, an immense amount of details. It's not as simple as throwing them in together, ignoring them and two months later you have 50 more bettas. Breeding is very demanding, both for the fish and for us as their breeders/caretakers/referees/parents/lunchladies/doctors. When MrV says a year of research, its not an exaggeration. You need to memorize so much information and be able to pull it out of your mind and into your hands, it really takes a long time to achieve. Not only the actual breeding, but also genetics, fishy illnesses and how to diagnose, culturing food and proper water changes. It isn't for the faint of heart or for those who aren't truly passionate about it. Although it sounds cool and you want to become a pro at it, majority of people won't try to spawn again after their first experience because it is so difficult.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #64 
jeffegg2

Cool

I still say the important part of fish breeding is just keeping healthy fish. As far as the courtship and spawning, either they will breed, or they won't. Nature will have it's way and life will prevail. I see a lot of beginner breeders here having trouble with their pairings. Perhaps they get too caught up in the "they will kill each other" hype. The Male Betta is a very territorial animal, and very agressive and assertive. Yes he will chase her around and bite her fins and she will look pretty haggard many times before spawning, but that is just the way of the Betta. If you keep healthy fish well fed in clean water, she will heal and live to do it all over again.

I do not have to learn to be the "Betta Whisperer" to breed bettas..... I just have to do the maintenance, the fish do the rest.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #65 
vilmarisv

But why expose your fish to damage by not learning their behavior when you can have very peaceful spawnings where fish don't suffer from any damage? We call it betta care.
I've only had one spawn where the pair attacked eachother during the courtship... it was my first. What did I do to fix this? I took a step back and did my research, learned betta behavior during courtship and adjusted my method. Never had a problem since.
I've been around this forum for a while and I know that stubborn people who don't take advise will often fail on their spawns. Or their fry will not survive the first few weeks.
There's so much to learn. You shouldn't discourage people from doing their research and being prepared. There's so much more to it than just putting 2 fish together in a tank. Bettas will often spawn, yes. But fry care is a whole different story and there's a lot of preparation to be done, not to mention the high cost of buying supplies and cultures for your growing fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #66 
KadenJames

+1
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #67 
Thomasdog

Hey guys, just an update:

Today I moved Moonie away from Sunny and took down his divider so now she has 10+ gallons to swim in! :) I went to the only place I know of that would have Java Moss... And they didnt have it. My dad found a little green moss ball and wanted that, so I figured that at least that would help filter the water. We named him Phil! :D (Phil the filtering moss ball) Will the infucia grow on this? And then when you said that I need to put a bunch of live plants in a barrel and then take some water out... how will I know it will have infucia in it? And if I put a bunch of water in, how am I going to take some out without taking out a bunch of babies.. I would get a bunch of plants and just put them in the tank for food, but I am not using dirt and so that is why I wanted to get Java Moss and let it float around... I will check a few more fish stores and see what I find....
Just wondering, why can't I use frozen BBS instead of live ones? Less nutrition? Our pet store sells them in cubes and was thinking it would be less work. Or would that be a bad idea? I don't mind the extra work, just wondering why if they did sell them in babies. And if you were worried about them not learning to chase, that same TFS (tropical fish store) also sells adult/mid sized brine shrimpies and worms, so I was thinking that when they got older, that could be a good food option. Then they would get the frozen BBS as little babies (how long?), worms and BS (how long?), then transfer to pellets.

Also: I am going to put something on the backside of the screen so the babies can't get stuck. Thinking Seran wrap or parchement paper on both sides.

Great idea about separiting the bettas, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice on fins, I'll see to that next time.

And I went to the TFS and got a tank vacuum and more water conditioner, and saw a really pretty mustard gas veiltail (I think...) I had to totally walk away!

surprize30 - please do your reasearch before you breed. Take time to plan things out and ask questions. I have been thinkin about this for about 8 months, and reasearching, and reading, and asking endless questions (thanks everyone for answering) you need to take the time to think about what you are doing. Is this really the right option for you? Consider all the hard work you have to put into this. Not saying you shoulden't do it, just saying that you need to look before you leap.

Thanks for all the help... commuicating with the shippers and transshippers on Sparta right now... I'll post some pics and more info later!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #68 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasdog View Post
Hey guys, just an update:

Today I moved Moonie away from Sunny and took down his divider so now she has 10+ gallons to swim in! :) I went to the only place I know of that would have Java Moss... And they didnt have it. My dad found a little green moss ball and wanted that, so I figured that at least that would help filter the water. We named him Phil! :D (Phil the filtering moss ball) Will the infucia grow on this? And then when you said that I need to put a bunch of live plants in a barrel and then take some water out... how will I know it will have infucia in it? And if I put a bunch of water in, how am I going to take some out without taking out a bunch of babies.. I would get a bunch of plants and just put them in the tank for food, but I am not using dirt and so that is why I wanted to get Java Moss and let it float around... I will check a few more fish stores and see what I find....
Just wondering, why can't I use frozen BBS instead of live ones? Less nutrition? Our pet store sells them in cubes and was thinking it would be less work. Or would that be a bad idea? I don't mind the extra work, just wondering why if they did sell them in babies. And if you were worried about them not learning to chase, that same TFS (tropical fish store) also sells adult/mid sized brine shrimpies and worms, so I was thinking that when they got older, that could be a good food option. Then they would get the frozen BBS as little babies (how long?), worms and BS (how long?), then transfer to pellets.

Also: I am going to put something on the backside of the screen so the babies can't get stuck. Thinking Seran wrap or parchement paper on both sides.

Great idea about separiting the bettas, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice on fins, I'll see to that next time.

And I went to the TFS and got a tank vacuum and more water conditioner, and saw a really pretty mustard gas veiltail (I think...) I had to totally walk away!

surprize30 - please do your reasearch before you breed. Take time to plan things out and ask questions. I have been thinkin about this for about 8 months, and reasearching, and reading, and asking endless questions (thanks everyone for answering) you need to take the time to think about what you are doing. Is this really the right option for you? Consider all the hard work you have to put into this. Not saying you shoulden't do it, just saying that you need to look before you leap.

Thanks for all the help... commuicating with the shippers and transshippers on Sparta right now... I'll post some pics and more info later!
this is my second time doing it but the first time didnt turn out so greate so i dotn plan on doing it for a few months anywy i have to get a bigger tank
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #69 
KadenJames

Surprize30, I love that avatar of yours. Such gorgeous colors.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #70 
surprize30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
Surprize30, I love that avatar of yours. Such gorgeous colors.
thanks X) its my moms old betta fish she used to have it spawn with my dads until he died his betta was almost solid black HM there babies were verry dark lol
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote