Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 
kimnoa

My females having a fight

Hello everyone. Just wanna ask why my females are fighting each other? Its an HM and CT female bettas. Its been already a week after i put them inside my 5G planted tank and i noticed today they just started fighting. Any ideas why? Do they normally do this? I thought they just fight when initially placed in the tank..

Total of 4 females inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxGr3...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by kimnoa; 04-26-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Inserted a video.
kimnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

There's a few reason. Probably first I would say they should have a larger tank. Close quarters and agressive fish don't mesh. Also, you have to have some dense cover with lots of caves. I would also double check they are female. If they flare out a full beard they could be male. My best guess is you may not have enough cover and the tank size is to small. Recommended is at least for in a 10 gallon tank.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

I just looked at your video. There is definatly a cover and space issue. I also noticed the blue one looks like it has a large beard, double check that one and make sure it isn't a boy. I would seperate them before anything happens.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #4 
kimnoa

Im pretty sure they are females. All of them has white dot on their belly. I do have a cave but will the others fight for the cave if i only put 1? Just read the sorrority guidelines and the minimum was 10Gs lol.. When i get the 10Gs whats the maximum number of females should i put inside? Im getting more female once i get tge 10Gs.

My male is gonna love this 5Gs LOL

Oh i just remembered when i put them last time in my bros 20G tank same thing happend. Sadly my bro took his tank and placed an Oscar in it. :(

Last edited by kimnoa; 04-26-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

He sure will love it. You have to remember too that young males will have white spots like females sometimes. The opinion on how many to put in a sorority in a ten varies. I say 7 to 8 as long as it is densly planted but most recommend only 6. You have to make your own call. Make sure it is densley planted with lots of hiding spots. Also make sure you release all the girls into a ten all at the same time. That helps them limit agression. Keep an eye on them right now though while they are still in the five or seperate them until you get your ten so no one gets hurt. Keep in mind too that some girls are just not fit for sorority life. Some stay agressive and need to live alone.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #6 
kimnoa

So thats why shes always bullying the others. Maybe she prefers being alone. So far she stopped now. And here i was thinking the other female was challenging the ALPHA FEMALE spot. LOL I have put my extra cave inside and removed 2 plants to make way for the cave. So far no one's taking interest in it. Should i get multiple caves for the 10Gs and reduce the plants?

Thanks for your help ^_^
Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

I would say add more hiding spaces AND plants. Below is my sorority currently. It has three caves and tons of plants. When they do fight which is going to happen the weaker needs to be able to run away and get out of the line of sight of the agressor. First is a front view picture then a side view. I use fabric plants but this density is very much possible with real plants. I just don't have patience for them yet.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

Whoops here are the pics.
Attached Images