Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 
SeniorD

Some help? PWEASE?

Sooooo...I know I'm not supposed to do this BUT I tried to Breed my Cambodian female and my black CT but the female wasn't into him I guess. Well anyway I tried a bunch of different pairs and the only pair I can get to work are my two Double Tails. I don't know what it is but they just really like each other. My Male CT built his nest. Then lost all interest and just wanted to chase the Cambodian. I put the Male DT in there and he took over the nest and just made it so much more massive. I'm going to continue with the two Double tails but I am looking for help on how I can bread my Crown Tail. My previous Crown Tail before this one did the same thing.
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 
KadenJames

I wouldn't recommend breeding doubletail x doubletail. It will give you a large number of offspring that are deformed- bent spine and swim bladder issues being the biggest. It sounds to me as though none of your fish are conditioned well enough. How long have you been conditioning, what have you been feeding them, how often do you do water changes? What is the temperature of the water?
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
KadenJames

Also, another Colorado member! AWESOME!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Isolate ALL your breeders. Exercise them regularly by letting them flare about 5-10 minutes daily. At the same time condition them with nutritious food. They should begin to flirt swim and or build bubble nests within a week or so.

If they are well conditioned, flare them for 30 minutes or so. They should begin to flirt swim the following day. Keep in mind each individual has its own character. Not all will readily flirt swim - some need a longer time/conditioning.

For CT, always use IAL or oak leaves.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Isolate ALL your breeders. Exercise them regularly by letting them flare about 5-10 minutes daily. At the same time condition them with nutritious food. They should begin to flirt swim and or build bubble nests within a week or so.

If they are well conditioned, flare them for 30 minutes or so. They should begin to flirt swim the following day. Keep in mind each individual has its own character. Not all will readily flirt swim - some need a longer time/conditioning.

For CT, always use IAL or oak leaves.
Why would you always want to use Oak or IAL?

Is it because of their fins? I remember reading something like that, but i'm not to sure.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #6 
KadenJames

CT fins are very delicate and sensitive to the water conditions. It doesn't take much for them to curl or bend. IAL or oak leaves help maintain water quality while adding natural protection against bacteria / fungus.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #7 
jeffegg2

Cool

What exactly did you do?

Setup?
Conditioning?
Food?
Water?
Breeding tank?

How long did you introduce them where they could only see each other?
How long did you leave them together?
Why did you seperate them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorD View Post
Sooooo...I know I'm not supposed to do this BUT I tried to Breed my Cambodian female and my black CT but the female wasn't into him I guess. Well anyway I tried a bunch of different pairs and the only pair I can get to work are my two Double Tails. I don't know what it is but they just really like each other. My Male CT built his nest. Then lost all interest and just wanted to chase the Cambodian. I put the Male DT in there and he took over the nest and just made it so much more massive. I'm going to continue with the two Double tails but I am looking for help on how I can bread my Crown Tail. My previous Crown Tail before this one did the same thing.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
CT fins are very delicate and sensitive to the water conditions. It doesn't take much for them to curl or bend. IAL or oak leaves help maintain water quality while adding natural protection against bacteria / fungus.
Yeah, I figured that. It has a lot to do with the water hardness.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Another Coloradan!

The others have pretty much stated what I would have so I hope all goes well.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #10 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
I wouldn't recommend breeding doubletail x doubletail. It will give you a large number of offspring that are deformed- bent spine and swim bladder issues being the biggest. It sounds to me as though none of your fish are conditioned well enough. How long have you been conditioning, what have you been feeding them, how often do you do water changes? What is the temperature of the water?

I don't change the water for my breeding tank....at all but in my 10 gallon I keep it a 80-85 and change the water maybe twice a week. Depends on how good my Picasimus fish is doing his job. xD I feed them dried blood worms for two weeks(Including the female because I'm keeping them both in the same tank while I do this.(There are only two females in there. I had a huge loss of Bettas recently.)
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote