Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
tnbettafan

Occasional power outages

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums here and I'm looking to learn as much as a I can about bettas before I make the decision to invest in the tank, filter, accessories, and most importantly the fish! My question is in regards to power for the lights, heater, and filter. Every once and awhile I will lose power in my condo (just for a split second) and I can always hear the stove, vcr, and different devices making noise as they kick back on. My question is what will this do to the filter, lights, and heater in the tank? Would they switch right back on? Could this be really bad for the filter? Thank you!
tnbettafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum! We're a helpful and warming community, and we're glad to have you here.

These little power outages shouldn't be a problem for your aquarium supplies. They will turn right back on. If you want to be extra careful you could buy a surge protecter strip (found in the lighting section of most department stores), and plug your aquarium equipment in there. When your power goes out for longer, you will need to wrap a towel or blanket around your aquarium to keep the heat in. I actually just had this happen to me today XD

About the filter. Some will drain if the filter loses power. But for a betta, a sponge filter is best as they are the most gentle on a betta's long fins. These will be completely un-phased by a power outage.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, heater, lights, outage, power