Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #1 
jase

setting up a new tank :)

Emptied my 90 liter hospital tank today as I reckon that it will never get any patients soon. Went around the house and found some decent spare equipments.took me a hour to covert it to fresh water and got a male betta from the fish store.
-finally found a use for that expensive juwel t5 i brought last year:P

...the fish buying part was on impulse, i brought it even though i knew my tank isn't cycled ><.so i am keeping the betta in a plastic cup in the tank for now.
.......creeping to fishpond to collect some nitrobacterials.

yeah, back to fresh water
going bare bottom this time round.

Any ideas on how I should progress on this?

jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

What sort of direction do you want to head in with this?

I would say, definitely get more cover. One little betta will be totally overwhelmed with all the open space and it could stress him out. Get a stack of plants, more flower-pots, heaps of different things to fill that space up. :)

I would also release him from the tank and do a fish-in cycle. It will be better for him than being in that cup (daily changes, lack of space, stress etc).

What are your water parameters (pH, hardness etc)? What sort of fish are you hoping to stock the tank with? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #3 
jase

[quote=Bombalurina;1052837]What sort of direction do you want to head in with this?

here are the parameter i measured

dhk; 4
ph:7.4 -added some ph down now.

NH3- 0 and hopefully will remain that.

NO2-0
NO3- 0

Total Dissolved Solid:429 - doesn't mean much

DIYed some bog wood by boiling logs i found at the beach last year.

In terms of theme i would like a aquarium that is similar to the natural enviroment of the betta, with some small schools of tetras, a pleco and some snails. choice of fish here in NZ is very limited -.-
My dream is of a "biosphere" like aquarium, pretty hard to do though.

which mean that i am not going to go bottomless, may be i'll give that a try next time ><

Last edited by jase; 04-20-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #4 
jase

Here's my betta fish.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #5 
kfish

It seems like you know this based on how you moved that rock, but make sure your betta can't get stuck in the terracotta pot hole!

Make it a NPT!!! :D
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 
jase

the good thing about living in NZ is that you have easy acess to quality streams.etc to get sand, rocks and wood.

Npt, bring it on :P

planning to connect a sump to it, but none of the LFS here stock any over flow boxes T_T
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 
kfish

I would LOVE having access to that. In FL, I guess I technically do. I should go exploring. I know there are some nice creeks near my university.

I love NPTs. They're so beautiful. :) River rock and driftwood with nice mossy plants. :D I want to have a bunch of nano NPTs around my house eventually. 2 gallon bowls and such. Pictures when you're done! :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Hah, I just noticed that that's the AquaOne 620. I have that. :D Good tanks. I like the filters.

Rather than adding pH adjusters, I would just leave it at it's natural pH and find fish that can work with that - a stable pH is better than a fluctuating one. If you do want to get it lower, try natural things such as driftwood and peat moss (though the moss would bring it right right down to wild betta sort of levels).

If you do want to do a betta biosphere, or at least an SE Asian biotype, have a look at rasboras and kuhli loaches rather than South American fish like plecos and tetras. :) For plants, look at the java fern varieties, and java moss. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #9 
jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Hah, I just noticed that that's the AquaOne 620. I have that. :D Good tanks. I like the filters.

Rather than adding pH adjusters, I would just leave it at it's natural pH and find fish that can work with that - a stable pH is better than a fluctuating one. If you do want to get it lower, try natural things such as driftwood and peat moss (though the moss would bring it right right down to wild betta sort of levels).

If you do want to do a betta biosphere, or at least an SE Asian biotype, have a look at rasboras and kuhli loaches rather than South American fish like plecos and tetras. :) For plants, look at the java fern varieties, and java moss. :)

roger that, java moss it is, to the fish store i go.
hopefully they have it in stock.
................sneaking to the enviro reserve at my primary & college to collect drift wood.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #10 
jase

Day 3

added some soil under gravel, which resulted in a dirt storm(as shown in photo) XD so did a 50% water change with DI water.

got queen moss,3 other plants and a half moon gourami.
DIY some decoration as well.

what should I add & do next? what plants should i get?
thinking about adding a female betta and a clown